Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell 0972JT
CPU
i3-4005U
Graphics
HD 4400 + GT 820M
Hi All,

Goal: Dual booting Laptop with fully functional Windows 10 and Mac OS X El Capitan.

After a failed laptop (Acer Aspire E5-573) I got a better laptop with following details:

Dell Vostro 3458
CPU
: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-4005U Processor (3M Cache, 1.70 GHz)
RAM: 4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx1)
Graphics: Switchable (yeah, I know, I cant use the NVIDIA and be content with 4400)
  • Intel® HD Graphics 4400
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 820M 2GB DDR3L
Wifi: Intel AC3160 (that won't work! I know :)).
I finally got the Dell Wireless DW1560 card based on BCM94352Z. I was hoping for OOB support for this card. But, wifi card is not shown in settings. :(
LAN: Realtek

I got a 120GB SSD and replaced the internal 500GB HDD. Replaced the ODD with the HDD.

Herez what I have done till now:
1. Installed Windows 10 on first partition on the SSD
2. Installed ElCapitan using Clover on third partition on the SSD.

What works?
Windows 10 - Fully.
Mac OS X - El Capitan
boots to native resolution of laptop (1366x768). screen flickers once in a while and artifacts are visible.
LAN - After installing relevant kext.

What needs to be done?
Battery status
Boot from SSD (without USB Clover)
Wifi
QE/CI
Sound
Backlight control
Sleep? - is it possible and am I going to use it?
iMessage

Things that made me split my hair: (May help you)
WINDOWS
1. Windows 10 Installer wont install to the partition I created for it.
Solution: Don't partition the disk using MacOSX DiskUtility AND create fat/exFat partition. The disk is no longer seen as GPT by Windows.
Ensure you
- create partitions using some other tool. Or, use MacOSX DiskUtility to create 3 partitions of JHFS+ (not FAT/exFAT). then delete one from inside the windows installer and format it.
- Use GPT partitioned USB installer to install to GPT partitioned HDD using UEFI
- Use MBR partitioned USB installer to install to MBR partitioned HDD using legacy BIOS: but why? you wont be able to install MacOSX without going through hoops...

2. Windows 10 refuses to proceed in spite of #1 above.
Solution: unplug all USB sticks and all HDDs from system. You must have only one HDD (or SSD) and one USB.

Mac OSX
1. Invalid or corrupt installer error. Dont remember the exact message.
Solution: I had downloaded Install El Capitan app before Feb 2016. I had to change the date to get the installer going.

2. Could not install "Essentials.pkg".
Solution: There were lot of discussions online about RAM re-insertion and all. I got it to work by simply retrying for a few times.

regards,
Adam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back