Contribute
Register

Dualboot EFI Windows 8.1 and Yosemite with Clover (NO LEGACY BOOT)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5 4590
Graphics
HD4600 (iGPU)
Hi,

I wanted to accomplish a EFI-ONLY dual boot with Clover on my ASUS Maximus VI Hero on the same drive.
To be more specific, I want to use the Windows Bootmanager as primary bootloader to chainload Clover which will load Yosemite.
The reason why it has to be EFI-ONLY is, that I have to disable CSM in order to get OS X to work with this motherboard, which means I can't and won't use legacy Windows.

And first of all I also won't consider using Clover as primary bootloader in order to load a legacy Windows, I don't want that, I wan't to exactly do like I said, chainload from the Windows bootloader to Clover, I know it's possible since that works fine with Linux.
So please respect my wishes. :)

So I booted my Yosemite USB installer (which contains Clover) and used Disk Utility to create two partitions with GUID Partition Tables, both formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then I start the Windows installer, in EFI mode of course, and remove the second partition and select the free space to install Windows onto that, the Windows installer creates the four partitions which are needed for EFI and wants to start the installation, while it say "Copying Files" the error message "couldn't create a system partition or find an existing one" appears and the installer aborts.

Then I tried it the other way around and installed Windows first, resized the partition of Windows to create some free space for Yosemite and then I started the Disk Utility from the OS X installer and wanted to create a partition formated as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), when I click on apply it say "Preparing to partition disk" and then nothing happens, it just hangs in that state, I can only close Disk Utility but it doesn't create the HFS+ partition... Why?

I also tried formatting with diskpart and GParted but it has the same effect, the disk has GUID Partition Tables but I can only install Yosemite OR Windows, but not both on the same drive.

Please keep in mind, that formatting the drive as FAT within Disk Utility converts the drive into a hybrid MBR, which means I CANNOT install Windows EFI, because Windows EFI needs to be on a drive with GPT!!

I am highlighting things red because some people tend to suggesting me to try things like using Windows in legacy mode and booting with Clover, formatting the Windows partition as FAT or things like that.
I repeat it, I want to chainload Clover from the Windows EFI Bootloader, not the other way around. I know how to accomplish this, the only problem I have is that I can't install both operating systems to a single drive since Disk Utility hangs and Windows won't install to a drive which contains a Mac OS Extended partition.

I want to know why Disk Utility hangs when the drive already contains the Windows partitions and I want to create additional partitions.

Is there no way you can use separate drives?
See http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-boo...g-installed-win-8-1-data-other-partition.html for problems with Win8 UEFI + OS X on same drive.

Separate drives makes it so much easier.

Indeed it would make my life really easier, but I don't have a second SSD and I really am to stingy to buy a second one.. :D

Also there would be enough space on my current SSD, so I really wanted to use that space. :cry:

But yeah, seems like this really won't work. But thanks for that information, now I know I'm not the only one. Maybe when I got some money left I'll buy another SSD for OS X. :p

Indeed it would make my life really easier, but I don't have a second SSD and I really am to stingy to buy a second one.. :D

Also there would be enough space on my current SSD, so I really wanted to use that space. :cry:

But yeah, seems like this really won't work. But thanks for that information, now I know I'm not the only one. Maybe when I got some money left I'll buy another SSD for OS X. :p

It will work, it is just a PITA to set it up properly. See nguyenmac's guide for Mavericks on a laptop with Win8 added down in the laptop section. IIRC, he installs Win8 UEFI after installing OS X.

The key is having the EFI partition large enough to satisfy OS X if installing Win8 first and removing the MSR partition.

The key is having the EFI partition large enough to satisfy OS X if installing Win8 first and removing the MSR partition.

Oh really? This is it? o_O

And Windows works without the MSR partition or will OS X create a new one?

Well I deleted the MSR partition with diskpart and resized the EFI partition to 300MB, but disk utility still hangs when I try to create the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition..
I also tried to create a HFS+ partition with GParted, the OS X installer also recognized it but when I tried to install Yosemite it says something about the partition not being Journaled which means the OS X installer can't resize it and then the installer aborts.

So it seems OS X really doesn't like NTFS partitions being on the same drive as itself.. :cry:
I think this is where my journey to OS X ends until I spend the money for a second SSD.

Well I deleted the MSR partition with diskpart and resized the EFI partition to 300MB, but disk utility still hangs when I try to create the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition..
I also tried to create a HFS+ partition with GParted, the OS X installer also recognized it but when I tried to install Yosemite it says something about the partition not being Journaled which means the OS X installer can't resize it and then the installer aborts.

So it seems OS X really doesn't like NTFS partitions being on the same drive as itself.. :cry:
I think this is where my journey to OS X ends until I spend the money for a second SSD.
Try creating the partition with the Windows disk management tool and formatting it NTFS. Then boot the Yosemite USB installer and open disk utility. Instead of trying to format the partition, erase it instead with format Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back