Contribute
Register

Dual Xeon E5-2620v3 (LGA 2011v3) (2 x 6-core) w/ Thunderbolt Hacktontosh Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

Does anyone know if SuperMicro X10DAX or X10DAi Dual Xeon LGA 2011v3 Motherboard w/ Thunderbolt add-on support + 2 x Xeon E5-2620v3 (12 cores total) would work currently for Hackintosh? Or are folks waiting for Apple to introduce a similar hardware config to new Mac Pro before it can be Hackintoshed?

same boat !

I think this would be the real MacPro that has never existed....

very interesting, but first we need someone like @stork to tell us if this mobo can be actually booted in UEFI bios.

I have Z9PE-D8 WS with dual 2620v2 and it works pretty much ok, and it does boot UEFI or mixed mode or even just legacy. I did have a SuperMicro X9 board too, before it went pop, and to be honest I favour the SuperMicro.

Martin

I have Z9PE-D8 WS with dual 2620v2 and it works pretty much ok, and it does boot UEFI or mixed mode or even just legacy. I did have a SuperMicro X9 board too, before it went pop, and to be honest I favour the SuperMicro.

Martin
First, I can't express how excited I am to finally find some people building CPU heavy systems like the one I'm building. Two quick questions.

- Were you able to get a thunderbolt card to work with your x9 and v2 E5's? I'm just starting my first build, and have the X9-DAI-O, with dual 2680v2. Having a hard time getting a clear understanding of what all the compatibility are that I need to check.

- Also, if you're feeling generous, is there anything I should know building a dual xeon system?

Thanks in advance!

First, I can't express how excited I am to finally find some people building CPU heavy systems like the one I'm building. Two quick questions.

- Were you able to get a thunderbolt card to work with your x9 and v2 E5's? I'm just starting my first build, and have the X9-DAI-O, with dual 2680v2. Having a hard time getting a clear understanding of what all the compatibility are that I need to check.

- Also, if you're feeling generous, is there anything I should know building a dual xeon system?

Thanks in advance!
My X9 board went pop before I got the system fully working and I don't recall it having Thunderbolt. My X9 did have firewire but it was one of the features that I did not get working before the board went and blew a socket. I did converse with a reseller of SM Boards that told me that the X9 boards don't like having their reset buttons pushed too many times in close succession which is what happened here, so I can't offer any help on the X9.

Hints and tips for Dual Xeon builds ...

As far as I am aware all Xeon v2's are now supported in macOS however full power management is only achieved using Mavericks or Yosemite. V2 E5-2600 series maxed out at 24 threads per single CPU which was the limit on all OSX versions up until Yosemite which then either dropped the thread count completely or increased it to 64 - I never got Yosemite to play with anything over 32 threads so I don't know what the limit was set at if at all.

I personally never tried V3 CPUs as I had read so many horror stories trying to get them to work so I skipped that generation of CPUs. However there are at least two people here on TMx86 that are close to having working systems with the ASUS z10PE-D8/16 boards.

My experience with v4 Xeon 2600 series CPUs is that you must use a FakeCPUID. You can't use more than 64 threads in total without hacking the Kernel and then sacrificing other features and stability. You will NOT get full Speed Stepping and full Power Management. But you can build a very stable platform that performs just as well as it does in Windows and Linux.

All Dual CPU builds that use XCPM will need the boot flag -xcpm_ipi. v4 ES Xeons need -xcpm_ipi to boot but then revert back to AICPUPM and appear to have no Speed Stepping support.

Pick your motherboard wisely. Super Micro and ASUS seem to be the only ones with v2 and v4 Xeons that will work with macOS.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back