i7-4650U
Graphics
HD 5000, 2160x1440
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have installed a fresh copy of High Sierra 10.13.6 and installed the latest Nvidia web driver 387.10.10.10.40.105.
I have confirmed the web drivers are loaded in the Nvidia selector tool and the about this Mac shows the Nvidia Quadro 4000 2047 mb card is loaded. Also the system report shows both cards loaded.

The graphics response is extremely sluggish and is unusable at times. I have attached a pic that shows what happens sometimes.

I have attached my config.plist

A few things to note:
(1) booting with nvda_drv=1 flag (I just read an article that suggests I need to load without this flag and modify my config.plist instead: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-high-sierra-10-13-6-387-10-10-10-40.255913/

(2) installed Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext (replaces the NvidiaFix... kext), still sluggish

(3) at one point, I could only get the system to boot with one graphics card. I can't remember the settings I had selected, but the system was not sluggish an ran just fine. One thing I noticed under this setup, About this Mac showed the loaded Nvidia Quadro 4000 card with 2048 mb instead of 2047. Not sure if this means anything.

(4) it seems only the right display port is functional on each graphics card. The left one is non functional.

Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I have an update!

I noticed the slow / sluggish behavior did not occur on my right monitor. Turns out, I can plug both monitors into the top Quadro 4000 and everything works great!
I have placed both graphics cards in the top slot and they function perfectly, so I know the card is good.

So either I have a bad PCI slot, or its a software issue? Any thoughts?

I have an update!

I noticed the slow / sluggish behavior did not occur on my right monitor. Turns out, I can plug both monitors into the top Quadro 4000 and everything works great!
I have placed both graphics cards in the top slot and they function perfectly, so I know the card is good.

So either I have a bad PCI slot, or its a software issue? Any thoughts?

Scratch that, here are the two scenarios, each with a major issue:

(1) with a single GPU only, both monitors only work when I boot the machine with one plugged in, log into Mac OS, and then plug in the second monitor. The graphics run fast, with no redraw, lag, or slow issues. Also, display settings show 2 monitors plugged in. If I restart or cold boot with 2 monitors plugged into this GPU, only one monitor starts properly. Under display settings, it only shows one monitor plugged in. If I unplug and replug in this monitor, it works correctly. This sounds like a Nvidia Web Driver issue...

(2) If I have 2 gpus installed, with a monitor plugged into each, both monitors will function after I log into Mac OS. The problem is the monitor plugged into the bottom GPU (slot 2) is slow and laggy. The monitor plugged into the top GPU (slot 4) is fast as it should be.

Each of these Quadro 4000 graphics cards has 3 outputs, 1 DVI-DL and 2 DP outs. I've tried every combination possible and still see the same results.

Any thoughts?

Any suggestions anyone?

If I have 2 monitors plugged into 2 separate quadro 4000 cards, one is laggy.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back