Contribute
Register

Dual Monitors with Asus GeForce EA8400GS in Snow Leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
macbook
CPU
2 gHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Can anyone tell me, in simple terms, what I need to do to get dual monitors and internet video with the above setup?

I bought and installed the Asus GeForce EA8400GS after reading here that it's supposed to be compatible but I still have no video and no dual monitors..

Also, I heard that the issue in 'Logic' where you can't see the GUIs for 'Waves' audio plugins would be fixed by installing this card. It's not (at least for me so far)

Pretty frustrated!!

can u help?

(3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Snow Leopard)

Are you using two digital monitors with two digital outputs from the GPU? DVD-D or HDMI should be used. Does a single monitor work fine but when you add a second nothing works. Is either monitor using an old analogue input?

Thanks Adrian,

I don't know too much about types of monitor.. I've just got 2 (what I'd call 'normal' flatscreens of the type I've been using for years) that are both coming off the ASUS card - one needs an adapter (I think it's called an HDMI..?) and the other one is just the old standard VGA..

Thing is, it's a hackintosh and obviously boots up in both OS X and Windows 7.. the 2 monitors work perfectly in Windows and show video etc. no problem.. boot up in Mac though, and the second monitor stays black, doesn't come on at all.. and the one that DOES work won't show internet video (YouTube etc.)

It has to be a software issue as far as I can tell - a kext or something..

:/

Sometimes you can run OS X with a GPU and use a VGA cable. Seldom will it work running a digital and analogue connection from the GPU though. It all seems hit and miss. Some people have found an HDMI to VGA adaptor works for them.

Windows can use analogue and digital connections much better than OS X because Apple chose to go digital only to reduce their carbon footprint - analogue VGA uses a lot of power compared to a digital connection.

Ok, that's something I hadn't considered..

I really appreciate your taking time to reply but as I'm really not knowlegable or experienced in the area of digital vs. analogue connections vis a vis computer monitors, could you suggest something I can try - in proper 'dummy' terms please!

If you lay it out saying which type of cables I'll need and which sockets they go in, I'll try it out!

Again, many thanks for your help so far :)

Steve.

You can use DVI and HDMI outputs via adaptors if required to each of your monitors. You need to tell me what you actually have in order for me to be able to assist with any degree of precision though.

A good clear photograph of the outputs on the GPU would be fine. Complete make and model of the monitors may lead me to enough information on-line. If you can confirm what you are using.

I would need to know how each monitor is currently connected at present at the PC and monitor connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back