Contribute
Register

Dual monitors w/dual video cards? (GTS 250 + iGPU HD3000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K (4.6 GHz)
Graphics
NVIDIA XFX GTS 250
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So, I just installed Lion on my ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard with i7-2600k. Everything seems to be working fine so far except I'm not getting any display on my 2nd monitor.

I have two monitors...one is connected via DVI to my discrete graphics card (GTS 250) and the other monitor is connected via HDMI to my internal/onboard graphics HD3000 using my motherboard's HDMI output.

1st monitor --> DVI --> discrete nvidia GTS 250
2nd monitor --> HDMI --> onboard Intel HD3000

As of right now, only my 1st monitor is displaying anything. This is the same setup I use in Windows 7 and both monitors/graphics cards works perfectly there. Was wondering if there was any way I can enable the 2nd monitor with it using the onboard graphics?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :D

Just wondering if you've any success in using both the HD 3000 iGPU + discrete graphics card?

Update: Got both working fine now, need to enable the iGPU at the UEFI.

Could you tell me how you got it to work? I'm still not having any success with it and kinda just gave up and am using both monitors with discrete graphics card. But i'd prefer to use one monitor dedicated for discrete and the other dedicated for iGPU.

wiraone said:
Just wondering if you've any success in using both the HD 3000 iGPU + discrete graphics card?

Update: Got both working fine now, need to enable the iGPU at the UEFI.
Yes please enlighten, I am also interested in doing this on my new GA-Z68MX-UD5.
Thanks,
g\

I did few things:

1. In UEFI setup, we need to enable the iGPU.

BIOS.jpg

Change the Initiate Graphics Adapter to PCI/iGPU (or iGPU), change the iGPU memory to at least 256MB. iGPU multi-monitor should remain disabled. This however will change your primary boot-up monitor to be the one that is connected to the iGPU.

2. Update to the latest Chimera either through standalone installer or Multibeast.

3. Change the smbios.plist to use the macmini5,1 plist.. can be found here:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/08/chimera-15-update-sandy-bridge-hd-3000.html

Now you'll have the iGPU HD 3000 enabled. No audio through HDMI yet I believe but my monitor doesn't have built-in speaker, so I'm okay.

Works nice for me too. I have an ATI XFX HD58580 with 2500K HD3000 graphics. Both connected with one monitor. Big advantage is the powersaving for me, because the HD 5850 is going on lowest speed now in idle.

Attachments

• GC.tiff
    218.6 KB · Views: 328
IS THERE A HACKINTOSH INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR INSTALLING BOTH INTEGRATED AND DISCRETE VIDEO CARDS?

I hope this is the right place to post this question,

Is there a detailed instruction how to do a fresh install of Mavericks 10.9.2 via Unibeast created USB drive that tells you from the installation beginnings how to install Mavericks to use the integrated Intel HD 3000 in my Intel i Core i5-2500K CPU AND a discrete GeForce GT 650 Ti or any other discrete video card? Is the installation instructions different? Do I install the HD3000 fisrt, then go back to add the discrete video card? My motherboard does not have UEFI, just regular AmiBIOS.

I am doing a dual boot installation in the same SSD of Windows 7 64bit and Mavericks 10.9.2 64bit. I currently have Win 7 with two monitors connected to the GeForce GT 650 Ti, but I have the HD 3000 also installed in a VIRTU configuration. This allows windows to use both video cards even though my 2 monitors are connected only to the GT 650 Ti. This way, if I am not doing anything graphics intensive or doing video encoding, the VIRTU driver uses the HD 3000, and if I start a 3D graphics intensive game, it automatically switches over to the discrete graphics card or uses both video cards to maximize performance.

If I can get the HackIntosh to use both video cards, would it do the same load balancing like the windows VIRTU driver, or will it just run each video card independently to drive whatever monitor is connected to it? I also hear that I need HD 3000 on for AirPlay to work.

Any help in the installation of both video cards under Mavericks HackIntosh, and any insight about how the cards work together is greatly appreciated.

If I were doing it, I'd remove the Nvidia graphics card and get OSX installed and working with the integrated first. The Nvidia card should pretty just work without doing anything.

The question that comes to my mind is why? There is such a big difference between the two gpus, the Nvidia card could run three monitors faster than the integrated graphics. And without stealing resources from your cpu while doing. Since integrated graphics uses the cpus memory system and system ram. I enabled my integrated graphics for Airplay only. And I didn't have to do anything other than install osx and have the right bios settings. Initialize PEG first, enable integrated graphics. I didn't see that you listed a motherboard manufacture, but if it's a Gigabyte, should be pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back