Contribute
Register

Dual monitors not working on Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, thanks to all who have posted regarding this topic, especially powerpcg5. :clap:

However, I have a quick question. Currently I have an Asus HD monitor (w/ HDMI port) which is using the DVI output to the DVI input on the graphics card, and it works like a champ. My 2nd monitor is an old Dell which is using VGA output to a VGA/DVI adapter. Obviously when I plug them both in, they don't work as powerpcg5 explained in his post. My question is, once I receive my HDMI cable and plug the Asus monitor into the HDMI port on the card, will the DVI port work to support my other monitor using the VGA/DVI adapter? I am assuming it will, but I would like a bit of reassurance if anyone can offer it. :)

Thanks for your help!

will the DVI port work to support my other monitor using the VGA/DVI
It should. just use the top DVI connector.

BTW, if you need (3)+ monitors working (DVI, DP, DP, HDMI), you need ACTIVE adapters.
If you just want dual (2), then a passive DVI adapter will be fine.

powerpcg5 said:
will the DVI port work to support my other monitor using the VGA/DVI
It should. just use the top DVI connector.

BTW, if you need (3)+ monitors working (DVI, DP, DP, HDMI), you need ACTIVE adapters.
If you just want dual (2), then a passive DVI adapter will be fine.

Thanks for the input. I tried it the other day using the bottom DVI connector and it didn't work (the adapter I'm using is a bit too wide to accommodate both the adapter and the HDMI cable next to it), but I've got another VGA/DVI adapter around here somewhere so I'll try that and post back with my results.

UPDATE: I ended up using the VGA/DVI adapter that came with my MacBook Pro in the top DVI connector, and it works. I had to play around with the resolution a bit and deselect the option to mirror the displays, but it works great. Thanks again!

In playing around with the 2nd display, it functions as I noted above. However, while using it for my desired purpose — displaying online training videos (flash media, not HD) while doing the work on the main display — it crashes my system. I have a 700w PSU on the system so I'm assuming that should be sufficient, though I haven't done any load testing on it. I don't want to derail this thread, but if anyone could offer some guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Try uninstalling flash then reibstall again. Also check console log for error messages.

powerpcg5 said:
Try uninstalling flash then reibstall again. Also check console log for error messages.

Thanks, I checked the console log and didn't see any relevant error messages, so tomorrow I'll try to reinstall flash and see what I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back