1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I have the Gigabyte Z77 UD5h mobo and was wondering if anyone is aware on activating and using both LAN ports in a "load-balancing" way. I do a lot of video editing and regularly back up my work to my QNAP TS420 which does have Dual LAN ports and does use the load-balancing feature. Some of my files get into the high GB sizes and file transfer speed is something I'm working on improving.

Current setup:

Hack with Cat6 cable (Intel port) connected to Gigabit switch which is then connected to both LAN ports of the QNAP also using Cat6 cables.

File transfer speeds are ok for now but my last back up was 478 GB and took 6 hours. The QNAP is setup with 4 x 3TB WD Red drives in JBOD (one large linear array).

Thanks in advance.

So I researched it and it is quite simple but I was unsuccessful. In system preferences you just click the + sign and create a new Link Aggregate bond but it didn't work for the intel and atheros LAN ports on my mobo. One of them doesn't link. I was able to do it in a diminished capacity in windows 7.

I did it!
My mobo is Z87X-UD5H with 2 intel Ethernet ports. After setting manually the speed to 1000Mb/s full duplex I made the link aggregation. I also had some trouble with d-link switch settings. After booting it takes some minutes to start working but it seems stable. Can't say anything about performance yet

My problem now is that copying large files the system crashes after 1-2 mins
:cry:. The console reports several errors but I can't understand anything yet

I also tried to get LinkAggregation working on my GA Z77X UD5H and finally gave up with onboard lan.
Up to OS X 10.0.x Apple had some native drivers which worked with a dual nic HP NC 360T. But with the new OSes they lose connection under heavy load.

I tried to use the SmallTree drivers and FakePCID (see http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...s-os-x-small-tree-drivers-11.html#post1177254) but gave up after a few weeks of bad luck.

Currently I use the new AppleIntelE1000.kext from MultiBeast and with manual settings link aggregation works with the switch TL-SG2008 (remember to use a LAG-capable switch) - no speed test right now, but at least stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back