Contribute
Register

Dual Displays on HD3000 Motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hooked up a second monitor through the vga port it show the boot up sequence then stops when the main display Dell U2711 (display port connected) starts. The other screen is a lowly Samsung 19in it is really only for my mail and chat and would be handy to get up and running properly.

I'll try a vga/dvi dongle as I have one somewhere I can get access to a dvi monitor to see if that works but it isn't mine so really want to try and get this working.

System def is mac mini.

Just a quick point. You don't need the MacMini def for HD 3000 support. Look at the thread about running AMD and HD3000 together ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51740 ), the DSDT can be used to specifically point the hardware for the HD 3000 to use the MacMini definitions while the system as a whole uses another (such as iMac12,2).

I concur with minihack. I am running a macpro3.1 def and getting great results from my HD3000. ( The def was default when I MultiBeasted. I forgot to check the Mac Mini one.)
It works fine -the HD3000 part - but having said that I am having trouble running dual monitors, a HDMI and VGA. They both work on boot up but one stops just when the kexts are being read and stays as a grey scereen with a frozen time wheel. The HDMI monitor boots up well.

My gut feeling is that its looking for a driver/kext. Is there one that can be loaded separately and avoid me having to re define the machine?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hello Timeslice, I finally had the opportunity to run the same monitors, one through HDMI and one through DVI. My non-scientific evaluation is that yes, the DVI seems to be a bit more crisp (text) while the HDMI seems to be a bit better with color ( truer whites and a better warmth). There's my two cents...

Regards

And, oh yeah, VGA isn't supported at all with the Mac, is my understanding. I am running dual monitors (HP 2311X LEDs) via HDMI and DVI

Hi Scuba
Very interesting. I have two identical Samsung LCD's and will compare as soon as I get hte dual monitors running.
Do you know if a kext exists or do I need to reconfiure the machine as MacMini5.1?

Cheers

Scuba said:
And, oh yeah, VGA isn't supported at all with the Mac, is my understanding. I am running dual monitors (HP 2311X LEDs) via HDMI and DVI
That explains it :(

Timeslice said:
Hi Scuba
Very interesting. I have two identical Samsung LCD's and will compare as soon as I get hte dual monitors running.
Do you know if a kext exists or do I need to reconfiure the machine as MacMini5.1?

Cheers

All you need to do is make is MacMini5_1 and it will work. Changing this will NOT effect anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back