Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Classic
  3. Power Mac
Yo peeps,

The Mac pro desktops were keen on dual cpus - how come there's no call for em - at least I don't see many PC builds these days, never mind hackintosh?

Could you dual cpu any cpu (eg an i7) or are there only certain types that can?

??

Yo peeps,

The Mac pro desktops were keen on dual cpus - how come there's no call for em - at least I don't see many PC builds these days, never mind hackintosh?

Could you dual cpu any cpu (eg an i7) or are there only certain types that can?

??
First, a dual processor motherboard based system is very expensive vs. a single processor system. I can't recall a dual i3/i5/i7 compatible motherboard, just dual Xeon processor motherboards which are designed for severs running multiple instances of virtual software. The last dual Xeon build I've seen here is PunkNugget's build.

Second, for the Pro-sumer a i7 K processor/Z270 system or an X299 motherboard system is more than enough processing power for a reasonable cost.

However, the new Coffee Lake processors were just released with 6 cores in the i5/i7 processors. These processor based systems should be more than enough for our pro-sumer users.

First, a dual processor motherboard based system is very expensive vs. a single processor system. I can't recall a dual i3/i5/i7 compatible motherboard, just dual Xeon processor motherboards which are designed for severs running multiple instances of virtual software. The last dual Xeon build I've seen here is PunkNugget's build.

Bleedin ell that Nugget build is a beast!

I see the cost thingy being a handicap - seem to recall Dell did some dual ones - prob at same time of the mac pro 2006/08

Cheers Stork

Well peeps use SLI - strange that eg for video editing benefiting from more cores, this direction isn't viable - imagine slinging two i7s together or even 2 x i3s ;-)

I know this is an older topic but I wonder why don't Gigabyte create a Dual CPU motherboard that is NOT server setup. i7 is actually now being used as server processing so why won't these mobo companies create Dual CPU mobos for us who build a box for DAW and video editing? i7s are not that expensive and having dual CPU only makes sense. Intel and AMD are bottoming out because now they are trying putting more cores in the CPUs instead of making them faster because of heat issues. I truly believe Gigabyte and others needs to take advantage of this and create dual i7 mobos...

Disregard just realized they have workstation mobos that are dual CPU. I will look into building one soon for my Pro Tools setup..

I have an Asus Z10PE-D16 and would love to be able to hackintosh this workstation. I have dual E5-2667 v3's and I've been trying for the last 6 months with no luck. System fails regularly on PCI init and when loading the 2nd CPU it locks before loading the install. :(

I have an Asus Z10PE-D16 and would love to be able to hackintosh this workstation. I have dual E5-2667 v3's and I've been trying for the last 6 months with no luck. System fails regularly on PCI init and when loading the 2nd CPU it locks before loading the install. :(

I have the same Motherboard but different CPUs, could you please take a look at these posts, It may help you.
I've tried it yet on my side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back