Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm going to buy some RAM for my GA-X58-UD3R and I'm wondering whether it's better dual o tri channel RAM.
In the users manual both possibilities are shown, thus my doubts remain... :D

If I go for dual channel I can install (2 x 2 excluded) 4 x 2 or 4 x 4 GBs to achieve 8 or 16GBs respectively.

If I go for tri channel I can install (3 x 2 excluded), 3 x 4, 4 x 4, 2 x 6 (or 6 x 4, too much expensive now).

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Michael

wavesequence said:
I'm going to buy some RAM for my GA-X58-UD3R and I'm wondering whether it's better dual o tri channel RAM.

If I go for dual channel I can install (2 x 2 excluded) 4 x 2 or 4 x 4 GBs to achieve 8 or 16GBs respectively.

If I go for tri channel I can install (3 x 2 excluded), 3 x 4, 4 x 4, 2 x 6 (or 6 x 4, too much expensive now).

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Michael

Tri-Channel. 6GB or 12GB is standard.

wavesequence said:

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Michael

Most benchmarks seem to indicate that on average, tri-channel offers around 5-10% better performance. It's up to you to decide which is more important to you, price or performance/more memory.

ddt said:
wavesequence said:

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Michael

Most benchmarks seem to indicate that on average, tri-channel offers around 5-10% better performance. It's up to you to decide which is more important to you, price or performance/more memory.
Thanks vendetta and ddt ;)
What I actually am not able to understand is the performance/price ratio.
To be more precise, if the difference between CL9 and CL7 is so substantial to justify an extra price.
For instance I'd like to install 12GB of RAM CL7, 1600GHz. The better price I found here in Italy is around 316 USD for a 3 x 4GB Corsair or 296 for a 6 x 2GB Corsair... Not so cheap...
On the other hand if I choose the same XMS3 CL9, price drops to 243 USD for a 6 x 2GB Corsair. 53 USD aren't inessential.
So, what is the right thing to do?

Thanks
Michael

There is little to no difference between triple chanel and dual channel, in fact dual channel performs better in some situations (See link below). Also, you can run triple channel with 4 dimms of memory.

The Truth about i7 (1366) memory, both dual channel vs tri channel
http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/6 ... -both.html

Jocelyn84 said:
There is little to no difference between triple chanel and dual channel, in fact dual channel performs better in some situations (See link below). Also, you can run triple channel with 4 dimms of memory.

The Truth about i7 (1366) memory, both dual channel vs tri channel
http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/6 ... -both.html
I found that article too complex for my knowledge... :oops:
All in all I'll install triple channel and don't care about teorical dual channel better performance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back