Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there,

I want to dual boot win8 and ML on two separate SSDs but somehow it does not work.

I start with installing ML, restart, install Multibeast, restart and test that everything works. After that I install win8 on the other SSD, it restarts right into win8.

After that I change the boot order in the BIOS to my ML SSD and it starts into Chimera. Starting to win8 from there is no problem, but starting to ML results in the Apple logo with the spinning wheel, spinning into eternity.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi there,

I want to dual boot win8 and ML on two separate SSDs but somehow it does not work.

I start with installing ML, restart, install Multibeast, restart and test that everything works. After that I install win8 on the other SSD, it restarts right into win8.

After that I change the boot order in the BIOS to my ML SSD and it starts into Chimera. Starting to win8 from there is no problem, but starting to ML results in the Apple logo with the spinning wheel, spinning into eternity.

What am I doing wrong?

1. Disconnect all of your hard drives.
2. Connect your Windows drive to SATA Port 0 and install Windows, disconnect after that's done.
3. Connect your OS X drive to SATA port 0 and install OS X.
4. Connect your Windows drive to SATA port 1 and that should do it.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/

First, thanks for the fast reply.

I tried what you said, but now I'm stuck somewhere else. It now depends on my boot priority which OS I can start. I can boot into Chimera and start ML perfectly fine, but when I want to start Windows 8 it gives me this error:
Photo 25.04.13 15 09 56.jpg

But if I change the priority to Windows 8, it starts, of course I can not choose OSX like this, so I always have to go into the BIOS to switch.
I think the problem is that I install windows with UEFI and I read that there is a problem with this. So I disabled UEFI in BIOS and changed to Legacy only, but when I want to start the installation, all I get is a little blinking line in the upper left corner and nothing happens.

First, thanks for the fast reply.

I tried what you said, but now I'm stuck somewhere else. It now depends on my boot priority which OS I can start. I can boot into Chimera and start ML perfectly fine, but when I want to start Windows 8 it gives me this error:

But if I change the priority to Windows 8, it starts, of course I can not choose OSX like this, so I always have to go into the BIOS to switch.
I think the problem is that I install windows with UEFI and I read that there is a problem with this. So I disabled UEFI in BIOS and changed to Legacy only, but when I want to start the installation, all I get is a little blinking line in the upper left corner and nothing happens.

When you installed Win8, did you disconnect your OS X SSD? If the SSD for OS X is on SATA port 0 and and the Win8 on SATA port 1 and you do not disconnect the OS X SSD, Win8 installer will put its boot files on your OS X SSD because it wants to be on the first drive.

If you follow the procedure http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html you will have no problems.

Yes I disconnected the other SSD when installing win8 and mac osx, and I also used this Guide.

But it is still not working correct. As much as I understand, it is because I also install Windows as EFI and not Legacy. But if I try to start the boot stick in Legacy mode, it won't start the installation.

Yes I disconnected the other SSD when installing win8 and mac osx, and I also used this Guide.

But it is still not working correct. As much as I understand, it is because I also install Windows as EFI and not Legacy. But if I try to start the boot stick in Legacy mode, it won't start the installation.

How did you create your Windows USB installer?

Best to use Microsoft's "Win7 USB Download Tool"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back