Contribute
Register

Dual booting using Clover on a real Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is old, but were you able to get clover to load from the actual mac hard drive instead of having to do a USB boot every time? Is there another alternative like spare drive in the machine? I have an old Mac Pro 2008 that has issues connecting to app store and messages services. When I boot with the USB I spoof serial number and model which enables those features to work properly. So I want to have it as streamlined as possible. Thanks!

Clover should not be used on a "real" Mac - use rEFIt or rEFInd instead. (Clover is based on rEFIt, but is for PC hardware, not Macs)

I think this thread and @RehabMan's remarks are exceptionally important now after yesterday's WWDC. There are many Real Mac users who need to push ahead with their 2009 Mac Pros, pre-2013 iMacs and Mac Minis. These machines work very well still and for the most part will do fine with 10.14 (Mojave) unless doing super GPU intensive work. It is disappointing that Apple feels compelled to force what they perceive to be quality control vs letting people go in with "enough rope", so to speak. At the end of the day this information is going to prove invaluable for custom SMBIOS needs.

@RehabMan there has been some discussion of the need for GOP UEFI for some real Mac boot with regards to graphics. Are you familiar with this topic and what this is and entails? I was under the impression that GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) was not necessary due to Clover's handling and the ability to even use Legacy, but I suppose there could be some issue here on integrated Macs such as iMacs, MacBooks, and Mac Minis...

@applCore Honestly i wish we could find a way too. on my 5.1 cMP i have blind boot with the vega64, and i tend to think the EFI is capable of basic display, because with the many test i've done with booting errors and booting windows efi etc... i realized that in a few situation, without drivers, display was lit up and used by EFI. So it would be great to find a solution, even clover, i would accept to "hackintoshize" my cMP

I'm definitely late to the Clover Bootloader on Mac discussion but, here goes. I've been using a Lenovo X230 hackintosh running Sierra for about a year now and loving it. I recently got a free Macbook 3.1 (Late 2007) and it's running on Mac OS X 10.7.5. It's not the same user experience has Sierra, worse, a couple of applications that I run on my hackingtosh won't run on the old OS including FIREFOX for crying out loud. So... To cut a long story short. How can I use Clover to load Sierra on this thing. The general idea I got was to create Clover configuration that turns all Clover hackintosh features off and then install Sierra on this baby. Anybody ever tried this or, has suggestions? I'm literally thinking of a hackintosh mac.

I'm definitely late to the Clover Bootloader on Mac discussion but, here goes. I've been using a Lenovo X230 hackintosh running Sierra for about a year now and loving it. I recently got a free Macbook 3.1 (Late 2007) and it's running on Mac OS X 10.7.5. It's not the same user experience has Sierra, worse, a couple of applications that I run on my hackingtosh won't run on the old OS including FIREFOX for crying out loud. So... To cut a long story short. How can I use Clover to load Sierra on this thing. The general idea I got was to create Clover configuration that turns all Clover hackintosh features off and then install Sierra on this baby. Anybody ever tried this or, has suggestions? I'm literally thinking of a hackintosh mac.
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...clover-on-a-real-mac-can-be-dangerous.229629/
or use the forum Search tool to view other similar horror stories.

Oh Snap!! Any suggestions I can try?

Oh Snap!! Any suggestions I can try?
Buy an Ivy Bridge based HP Probook with an HD4000 CPU and hackintosh that. They can be bought used on Ebay. Very easy to get them working with Sierra or High Sierra. Hacking an old 2007 Macbook to run Sierra will be an exercise in futility.

Last edited:
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...clover-on-a-real-mac-can-be-dangerous.229629/
or use the forum Search tool to view other similar horror stories.
There are some ongoing discussions on macrumors.com. If those reports were correct then that means that clover is able to write to the private part of the NVRAM in the bootrom. This is the only thing a simple PRAM reset would not reset back to default. Screwing the private part of the NVRAM can brick the bootrom. Now the question is can somebody from clover developers team if they hang around clear out this for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back