Contribute
Register

Dual Booting Trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran into a new problem now!

I cant get windows 7 to upgrade to SP1. I has something to do with the HDD structure has anyone ran into this problem before?

are win & mac on 2 separate hard drives, or the same one?

Lion OS is on its own HDD but Win 7 is on a HDD with a partition for Time Machine.

I formatted the HDD using Disk Utility then made 2 partitions making one fat32 for win 7 then when loading win 7 formatted it to NTFS. I thought everything was working until I tried to update to SP1.

disconnect the mac hard drive, then boot into windows and try the sp1 update

@ work now but will try it when I get home and let you know how it goes.

Just got home and unhooked my OS X HDD and tried the SP1 update and it worked fine!

Thank you for your help!

If I reboot out of Windows 7 now it will not load OS X, it just stopes on the grey screen with the Apple logo.

If I power down out of windows 7 OS X will load any ideas?

Win7 expects you to be restarting into windows, so it's set up to "retain ownership" of motherboard resources instead of reloading from scratch to make the restart faster.
When switching OS, I always shut down rather than restart. It doesn't take all that long to hit the start button again.

I didn't do anything special and Win 7 restarts and allows me to boot to OSX. I'm dual booting on separate drives as well...works fine. Have Chimera and boot priority set to OSX.

My tower is in a different room so having to go turn the computer back on would be a slight inconvenience as it's not directly under my desk. So I'm glad it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back