Contribute
Register

Dual Booting Question. 2 X 120GSSD in RAID 0 for OSX, 1 X 120GSSD for Windows?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximum Gene VI
CPU
INTEL i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Graphics
ASUS GTX 760 2G SLI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, I just have a simple question.

I have 1 X Vertex3 120G and 2 X Samsung EVO 120G.

I was wondering if I could install OSX 10.9 on a RAID0 with the 2 Samsung SSD's and installing Windows 7 on the Vertex 3?

And would the opposite work too? Installing OSX 10.9 on the Vertex 3 and installing Windows 7 on a RAID0 with the 2 Samsung SSD's?

So could I do that and choose at the startup which partition to boot from?

THANKS! Sorry for that beginner question, its my first hackintosh!

My build:
i7 4770K
ASUS Maximus Gene VI
2 X 8G GSkillz 1600MHz
2 X ASUS 760 2G
2 X SAMSUNG Evo 120G
1 X OCZ Vertex 3 120G
EVGA 750W GOLD

I have not personally used a RAID0 configuration but have been considering it, and this guide should help you out: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-0-os-x-10-8-5-using-tonymacx86-tool-set.html

I believe the setup you want is achievable, but it is more work to make the Raid0 bootable. You can always choose which partition to boot with Chimera/Chameleon/Clover boot-loaders, as long as you have not disabled/hidden the menu. Be aware that Chimera/Chameleon cannot boot UEFI installations of Windows (or Linux for that matter).

Nice hardware selection, just a tip, because I do not know how much you know regarding power management, but your motherboard has locked MSRs (most do) and will cause a kernel panic at boot. It will occur so early that it appears to simply reboot. The Haswell processor automatically triggers xcpm, power management inside the kernel, which no longer uses AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

If you do not patch the UEFI/BIOS to unlock the MSRs (search this forum for PMPatch), you will need to use a modified kernel (a version compiled from source will work, since xcpm has not been released (yet) in the source(as far as I know)).

Installing OSX 10.9 on the Vertex 3 and installing Windows 7 on a RAID0 with the 2 Samsung SSD's?

So could I do that and choose at the startup which partition to boot from?
No, because OS X (or, rather, Chameleon/Chimera) will not recognize a Windows RAID volume as bootable.

But if I boot directly on the RAID Partition from the bios instead of with the boot loader?

But if I boot directly on the RAID Partition from the bios instead of with the boot loader?
Possibly - don't really know as I don't do a raid boot drive. Tried it a long time ago and had nothing but :banghead: and constant re-installs because of the loss of a stripe caused the whole thing no be trashed.
Don't care how slow it is, I will not RAID a boot drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back