Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH (ESXi Host)
Graphics
Integrated/On-Board Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Right now I have 2 HDs in my computer. One has just a single partition with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 + Chimera installed. The other one is another GUID partitioned disk with two HFS+ partitions that I created third FAT partition on with Disk Utility. I ran into problems installing Windows XP, which said it couldn't copy necessary files to begin the installation. My understanding is that Windows XP will only install on a MBR partition scheme. Is there a safe way to get it to work on a GUID scheme? I don't want to add a third hard drive or buy Windows 7 (which would probably install on a GUID drive?). I'm assuming that I will be able to boot to it from Chimera once I install it. Thanks in advance.

Is there some reason in particular you want the second drive formatted GUID instead of MBR partition tables?

Going Bald said:
Is there some reason in particular you want the second drive formatted GUID instead of MBR partition tables?

Yeah, I have a bootable clone of my main drive on it. Sorry, forgot to mention that....

Hate to tell you this, but there is no way you are going to get WinXP onto a GUID formatted drive and be able to boot it.

From the Microsoft site ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... e/gg463525 )
Windows Disk Support
Q. Can Windows XP x64 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

A. Windows XP x64 Edition can use GPT disks for data only.

Q. Can the 32-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

A. No. The 32-bit version will see only the Protective MBR. The EE partition will not be mounted or otherwise exposed to application software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back