Contribute
Register

Dual booting El Capitan and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok now I did again fresh install for Windows with no drive except the Windows drive connected. Install went fine. I connected El Cap drive and made the boot order 1. El Cap and 2. Windows 7. Again Windows booted right from the Clover before updates. I booted to El Cap and with Clover Configurator mounted the Windows EFI and copied it to desktop. Then I again disconnected every other drive except the Windows drive. Booted to Windows and updated every important update and the optional framework updates. When done I reconnected the El Cap drive and made the boot order. Booted to El Cap and in Clover Configurator mounted the Windows EFI and replaced it with the one earlier copied. Then I tried to boot to Windows from Clover but didn't work, problem stays the same. Now I'm starting to think the problem isn't the EFI but graphics. Because when I try to start Windows from Clover it gets to the "Windows starting screen" and then screen goes black and says "no hdmi" or something like that and machine stays on. Is it possible that somehow in the booting it losts graphcs? There are boot args: dart=0 nvda_drv=1. Should these be here?

Ok now I did again fresh install for Windows with no drive except the Windows drive connected. Install went fine. I connected El Cap drive and made the boot order 1. El Cap and 2. Windows 7. Again Windows booted right from the Clover before updates. I booted to El Cap and with Clover Configurator mounted the Windows EFI and copied it to desktop. Then I again disconnected every other drive except the Windows drive. Booted to Windows and updated every important update and the optional framework updates. When done I reconnected the El Cap drive and made the boot order. Booted to El Cap and in Clover Configurator mounted the Windows EFI and replaced it with the one earlier copied. Then I tried to boot to Windows from Clover but didn't work, problem stays the same. Now I'm starting to think the problem isn't the EFI but graphics. Because when I try to start Windows from Clover it gets to the "Windows starting screen" and then screen goes black and says "no hdmi" or something like that and machine stays on. Is it possible that somehow in the booting it losts graphcs? There are boot args: dart=0 nvda_drv=1. Should these be here?
Why are you messing around with the Windows EFI? There should be no reason you should touch it. Windows thinks you have a pirated copy when you do this and kills video output.
Install Windows and update it until it says no more updates are available, then connect your OS X drive and set boot order in UEFI.

dart=0 makes it unnecessary to set VT-d=disabled and nvda_drv=1 is required for your GPU to work with OS X. These should not be a problem.

Because of this:
File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

I've always done the installion the way that I disconnect every other drive except the Windows drive, install, update, put El Cap drive back and set the boot order in UEFI 1. El Cap and 2. Windows boot manager. And every time after this when I try to boot to Windows from Clover comes "Windows starting" screen and then black screen and no hdmi. Am I doing this right?

Because of this:

I've always done the installion the way that I disconnect every other drive except the Windows drive, install, update, put El Cap drive back and set the boot order in UEFI 1. El Cap and 2. Windows boot manager. And every time after this when I try to boot to Windows from Clover comes "Windows starting" screen and then black screen and no hdmi. Am I doing this right?

How many Windows icons do you have with a fresh install of OS X on one drive and a fresh install of Windows on the other? Which icon are you selecting to boot Windows?

I'm not really sure what you mean but I have three icons in Clover. Two for OSX (El Capitan and OSX Recovery) and one for Windows (Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI). Is this what you asked?

I'm not really sure what you mean but I have three icons in Clover. Two for OSX (El Capitan and OSX Recovery) and one for Windows (Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI). Is this what you asked?

Correct. You evidently have UEFI boot mode only set in UEFI or have hidden the unnecessary/nonbootable icons. Jst checking to make sure you are using the correct one.

Not sure why you are having a problem booting Windows. I installed OS X, disconnected drive, connected drive, installed Windows, reconnected OS X drive, boot to UEFI and set OS X drive first in BBS boot order and Clover boots from OS X icon while Win10 boots from the Windows icon came as you are using. I made no changes to anything in the Windows install or EFI partition to accomplish this.

Yes I have UEFI boot mode only set in UEFI. This situation is strange 'cause alone Windows boots just fine. Only when it's booted from Clover the booting process stops. The OSX is installed on a drive in M.2. port and Windows on a drive in SATA3 port but I don't think this could cause the issue. I guess I just have to keep digging to solve this problem. Btw, should ALL windows updates important/optional be installed even those that are not selected by default?

Yes I have UEFI boot mode only set in UEFI. This situation is strange 'cause alone Windows boots just fine. Only when it's booted from Clover the booting process stops. The OSX is installed on a drive in M.2. port and Windows on a drive in SATA3 port but I don't think this could cause the issue. I guess I just have to keep digging to solve this problem. Btw, should ALL windows updates important/optional be installed even those that are not selected by default?

The optional Windows updates you have to look at what the update is for and determine if it applies to your build. They are listed by update number so you can search for them on MS site and read the purpose of the update and what it covers.

I updated F7 UEFI/BIOS to F10 UEFI/BIOS. Didn't solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back