Contribute
Register

Dual booting and trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. I have an i5 based 2.93ghz quad core machine, Geforce GTX 260, 8gb ram with a kingston 120gb SSD dual booting to Lion and windows 8. Both of which work in their own right. The issue its that chaimera cannot see the windows partition on boot. I followed the following thread on how to dual boot http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/dual-boot-windows-7-and-os-x-snow.html
Is there a newer and better way of doing it or at least a way that works?

Mat

Okay so Trim works now but chaimera still can't see my windows 8 partition. It's partitioned as a GUID NTFS partition and I installed windows 8 first then Lion.
Does anyone have any bright ideas? I even tried to install chameleon instead of chaimera and that doesn't seem to have either worked or helped.
Has anyone done this successfully?

My Windows 8 is the same way, because it put its boot manager on the same large partition instead of a small partition like Windows 7. I have yet to figure out how to fix this. I have a Gigabyte motherboard though and just hit F12 for boot menu before Chimera even boots. It will show "Windows Boot Manager" - click that.

I finally got it sorted. You need to partition it in OSX and then put windows as the first partition and OSX as the second. Apparently if they are the other way round it won't work. It's a hard lesson to learn after spending hours of installing that you have to wipe it all and start again.
Good luck with your build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back