Contribute
Register

Dual boot with SL 10.6.5 already installed and Windows XP???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro
CPU
i5 760 2.66GHz
Graphics
NVidia GeForce 8800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Gonna be short and sweet. I'm running SL 10.6.5 and I want to install Windows XP and do a dual boot. Question is, is it too late to do that? I'm not sure if Windows will boot in ACHI mode but I'm sure it can be managed by changing some commands or something. Let me know fellas or link me to another forum. Thanks

@eelhead
Unfortunately, the guide you linked will not work with XP. Totaly different ball of wax.

To run dual boot on XP, you must first decide - 1 hd or separate. If 1 hd, then you must install OS X on a separate HD first and then clone it to the other drive with XP because XP will not install on GUID formatted hd and 10.6 Snow Leopard installer will not install 10.6.x on MBR.

If using 2 drives, first WinXP must have AHCI enabled and the latest Intel block storage matrix drivers installed. See your mother board support site for links to drivers and google how to install.
Win XP will not boot at all unless it is listed as first hard drive in the BIOS hard drive boot order.
Also, XP will not boot with Chameleon/Chimera unless they are installed on the WinXP hard drive. You can, however, use the f12 or whatever key to select boot device at BIOS post screen to select which hard drive to boot from

WinXp/OS X dual boot is a real PITA to set up.

Going Bald said:
@eelhead
Unfortunately, the guide you linked will not work with XP. Totaly different ball of wax.

To run dual boot on XP, you must first decide - 1 hd or separate. If 1 hd, then you must install OS X on a separate HD first and then clone it to the other drive with XP because XP will not install on GUID formatted hd and 10.6 Snow Leopard installer will not install 10.6.x on MBR.

If using 2 drives, first WinXP must have AHCI enabled and the latest Intel block storage matrix drivers installed. See your mother board support site for links to drivers and google how to install.
Win XP will not boot at all unless it is listed as first hard drive in the BIOS hard drive boot order.
Also, XP will not boot with Chameleon/Chimera unless they are installed on the WinXP hard drive. You can, however, use the f12 or whatever key to select boot device at BIOS post screen to select which hard drive to boot from

WinXp/OS X dual boot is a real PITA to set up.

You're right, was up ALL NIGHT trying to do it and it didn't work. I have a Windows 7 disk laying around here somewhere, would 7 work? I already have SL installed and that guide and XP got me nothing but that black screen about turning my pc off...What's next?

Win 7 works fine either in single HD with OS X or on separate hard drives. For simplicity and ease of maintaining the systems, I prefer to have separate hard drives.
2 drive method
1. pick an OS to install
2. connect a hard drive
3. install OS, update it, get your users set up, load your 3rd party apps, etc.
4. shutdown, disconnect cable at hd (not really necessary, but prevents you from choosing wrong drive when you select a drive to format for installing the 2nd OS)
5. connect 2nd drive to mobo
6. install 2nd OS, update it, get your users set up, load your 3rd party apps, etc
7. shutdown, reconnect the first hd
8. boot to BIOS and set the OS X hd as first in boot order. save&exit BIOS, continue boot
hit a key at Chimera screen to select an OS to boot or install Instant Menu from MultiBeast
Windows 7 boots from the System Reserved icon when installed this way unless you pre-format the hard drive with a 3rd party disc utility. With the hd pre-formatted, the system reserved partition is not created.

1 hard drive method is a little different. Either this method: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html or this method: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872
will get you there.
It doesn't really matter whether you install Win7 first or OS X first, just use OS X Disk Utility to format the drive as instructed, then install either one, then the other. The downside to installing OS X first is the necessity to boot back to the OS with iBoot (or rBoot for Lion) and re-install the Chimera boot loader because Windows 7 over-wrote it Even though it doesn't use the first 440K of the boot sector, it still erases it.

eelhead said:
:oops:

Sorry I didn't even catch it.
Much apologies.

It's cool, just send me your G5 mod :lol:

awhitebeats said:
eelhead said:
:oops:

Sorry I didn't even catch it.
Much apologies.

It's cool, just send me your G5 mod :lol:

Sold It :D
Building a couple more though to resell and my next project will be a Mac Pro mod for myself. Needed a wider case then the G5.

Does this not work with Ubuntu? I tried the exact method Going Bald had using Ubuntu instead of Windows 7, but it doesn't show up on the chimera screen. I don't see why it wouldn't work as Ubuntu boots up just fine in ACHI mode.

Genkora said:
Does this not work with Ubuntu? I tried the exact method Going Bald had using Ubuntu instead of Windows 7, but it doesn't show up on the chimera screen. I don't see why it wouldn't work as Ubuntu boots up just fine in ACHI mode.
Yes it works with Ubuntu, whether on same drive or separate. See step 3P in guide @ viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872
In order for Chimera to see grub, grub must be installed to the root of the Ubuntu install, not to the hard drive or partition MBR.
You can even create a Ubuntu boot partition ( /boot ) with the installer and install grub there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back