Contribute
Register

Dual boot windows and high sierra problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170a > Need make and full model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
I installed High Sierra on seperate harddrive and when the installation was completed i pluged in my other ssd hard drive with my windows 10.
Now I got 2 "boot windows from" in clover and none of them works. What I get is black screen with a under score blinking.
I had a dualboot working before with windows 10 and el capitan.
I saw a guide in this forum how to install windows 10 but I rather don't reinstall windows 10 if this is a easy way to fix it?
Could I try change bios and see if that would work, or would that make my os system disabled?

Thank you in advance.

Update Clover config.plist on the Sierra drive if you are not booting Clover from another drive or set the old Mac OS drive as first in BBS boot order in UEFI.

Is either of your Windows icons labeled Boot Windows EFI from EFI?

Is either of your Windows icons labeled Boot Windows EFI from EFI?
No there are not. "Only boot windows from"
When I mount my EFI partition on my ssd which windows is installed on, the EFI folder is empty.
When I installed high Sierra I did a security erase in bios on the ssd where I installed high Sierra. Maby any of the things I mentioned have something to do with it?
Thank you.

No there are not. "Only boot windows from"
When I mount my EFI partition on my ssd which windows is installed on, the EFI folder is empty.
When I installed high Sierra I did a security erase in bios on the ssd where I installed high Sierra. Maby any of the things I mentioned have something to do with it?
Thank you.
In your EFI partition is there a Windows folder with Windows boot files in it?

If not, your problem is that Windows is installed Legacy Mode, not UEFI mode and UEFI boot loader will not boot it. You might try deleting the Clover folder in the UEFI partition and installing Clover Legacy mode. This might work if you have CSM (Compatibility Support Module) enabled in the UEFI/BIOS.

In your EFI partition is there a Windows folder with Windows boot files in it?

If not, your problem is that Windows is installed Legacy Mode, not UEFI mode and UEFI boot loader will not boot it. You might try deleting the Clover folder in the UEFI partition and installing Clover Legacy mode. This might work if you have CSM (Compatibility Support Module) enabled in the UEFI/BIOS.

Thank you for your reply.
I might be it got installed legacy mode but I'm not sure since I quite sure I installed el Capitan in uefi.
If I have to reinstall I rather install windows again. Do you think that would do any difference?

Thank you for your reply.
I might be it got installed legacy mode but I'm not sure since I quite sure I installed el Capitan in uefi.
If I have to reinstall I rather install windows again. Do you think that would do any difference?

Sounds like you've got a legacy Windows install so you might want to start over again and make sure you install everything in UEFI mode since your system supports it. That will make things easier.

Thank you guys for all the help!

I solved it. I disconnected all my other hard drives except the windows and reinstalled. I had some problem on the way, had an old partition on it I had to remove it. Now I got a hackingtosh with dual boot again :)
The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to remove the old boot options, see picture.

Attachments

• 20190318_205656.jpg
    20190318_205656.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 67
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back