Contribute
Register

Dual Boot Windows 8 and Mountain Lion on 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
After you ran gparted, did you run gptsync again? Every time you touch the partition table with gparted, you will have to run gptsync to re-create the mbr partition table. This is because gparted is GPT-based only... and each time it makes a change to the GPT table, it eliminates any MBR table that was there.

In addition, it is pretty common for Windows to say you can't install, only to let you format it there as NTFS, then let you install. But not the specific message you mention -- that usually results (going from memory) when you ave a GPT-only partition setup (not hybrid).

Also be aware that you don't want to edit the partition table with an MBR-only setup... always edit the partition table with a GPT-based program, then use gptsync to create/update the MBR to complete the hybrid.

RehabMan... you were right!
Sorry for my ignorance following steps, after doing the ubuntu gparted step I didn't re-create the MBR table, I'm running MLion and Win8 on a single ssd now with the secondary drive for storage, now I just need to set up my win8 folders to use that one instead of the ssd. Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Hi, I tried installing Windows 8 after my fresh ML 10.8.2 install and it turned out to be disaster;)
Windows 8 wouldn't install saying 'we couldn't create or locate partition' (it was FAT32 created using os x disk utitlity)
I did sth stupid and set boot flag to to this fat32 partition. did not help and now I get "bootdevice not found' and reinstalling chimera is not helping.

what can i do? how to repair my gpt? is there a way to install win8/win7 after installing ML? (actually i think i did it this way last time but now it's not working;])

Hi, I tried installing Windows 8 after my fresh ML 10.8.2 install and it turned out to be disaster;)
Windows 8 wouldn't install saying 'we couldn't create or locate partition' (it was FAT32 created using os x disk utitlity)
I did sth stupid and set boot flag to to this fat32 partition. did not help and now I get "bootdevice not found' and reinstalling chimera is not helping.

what can i do? how to repair my gpt? is there a way to install win8/win7 after installing ML? (actually i think i did it this way last time but now it's not working;])

Probably same answer as above. Run gptsync under Linux. Then maybe re install Chimera. You can find lots of clues in my blog article.

thank you!
gptsync worked like a charm;)

Hello guys, need your help.

On single SSD hard disk:

- Formatted the drive with GUID partition table:
- Created two partitions 1st with HFSjournaled + 2nd FAT
- I installed Mountain Lion on 1st partition with Chimaera
- Then I installed windows 8 on FAT partition

After Windows 8 installation, I can only boot Windows.
Then I booted with Unibeast under USB key and I was able to load ML previously installed.

I install again Chimaera.

And then there is no way I am able to boot W8 again.

I have 4 partition:
1) EFI partition
2) HFS+ partition with ML on it
3) System reserved W8 partition
4) W8 partition

I tried to make partition 4 active with diskpart loaded with W8 DVD installation disk, but no way.

Any help?

Thanks.

Hello guys, need your help.

On single SSD hard disk:

- Formatted the drive with GUID partition table:
- Created two partitions 1st with HFSjournaled + 2nd FAT
- I installed Mountain Lion on 1st partition with Chimaera
- Then I installed windows 8 on FAT partition

After Windows 8 installation, I can only boot Windows.
Then I booted with Unibeast under USB key and I was able to load ML previously installed.

I install again Chimaera.

And then there is no way I am able to boot W8 again.

I have 4 partition:
1) EFI partition
2) HFS+ partition with ML on it
3) System reserved W8 partition
4) W8 partition

I tried to make partition 4 active with diskpart loaded with W8 DVD installation disk, but no way.

Any help?

Thanks.

Make sure when you install W8, that you simply format the existing partition (that you already setup in Disk Utility) to NTFS then install to that. Do not do anything else in the Win8 installer. You do not want the whole 'System Reserved + Win8 partition' you want one that contains both. It sounds like in your case you removed the partition in the Win8 installer and then installed to unallocated space, which allowed the installer to do its normal 2-partition setup, which you don't want.

It is possible to make the 2-partition system work... but the partition you boot for Windows is the 'System Reserved' one, as that is the partition containing the boot files. But it is really unnecessary and better to just have one partition for the Windows install.

Also, you *never* want to edit your partition tables with anything but a GPT aware editor, and you usually have to run gptsync in Linux after you make edits to fix the hybrid MBR. When you are editing with diskpart or even diskmgmt.msc in Windows you are editing only the MBR and you do not want the MBR out of sync with the GPT table. So, either setup your partiton table up-front exactly how you want it, or always use gparted followed by gptsync.

Make sure when you install W8, that you simply format the existing partition (that you already setup in Disk Utility) to NTFS then install to that. Do not do anything else in the Win8 installer. You do not want the whole 'System Reserved + Win8 partition' you want one that contains both. It sounds like in your case you removed the partition in the Win8 installer and then installed to unallocated space, which allowed the installer to do its normal 2-partition setup, which you don't want.

It is possible to make the 2-partition system work... but the partition you boot for Windows is the 'System Reserved' one, as that is the partition containing the boot files. But it is really unnecessary and better to just have one partition for the Windows install.

Also, you *never* want to edit your partition tables with anything but a GPT aware editor, and you usually have to run gptsync in Linux after you make edits to fix the hybrid MBR. When you are editing with diskpart or even diskmgmt.msc in Windows you are editing only the MBR and you do not want the MBR out of sync with the GPT table. So, either setup your partiton table up-front exactly how you want it, or always use gparted followed by gptsync.

Thanks for quick feedback.

Right now, before starting from scratch with erasing the whole disk, I am trying to save my ML installation.

I have the 4 partition situation that you described.

After installed W8, I load ML with usb stick unibeast and reinstalled Chimaera.
After then whatever partition I make active there is no way that Chimaera recognize W8.
Even If I make partition 3 active (boot files of W8).

Is there any way I can fix this right now?

If i try to fix W8 installation with W8 install disk tools, I get an error-.

Thanks for quick feedback.

Right now, before starting from scratch with erasing the whole disk, I am trying to save my ML installation.

I have the 4 partition situation that you described.

After installed W8, I load ML with usb stick unibeast and reinstalled Chimaera.
After then whatever partition I make active there is no way that Chimaera recognize W8.
Even If I make partition 3 active (boot files of W8).

Is there any way I can fix this right now?

If i try to fix W8 installation with W8 install disk tools, I get an error-.

At this point, I would go into OS X Disk Utility and remove the two partitions that make up your Win8 install. Then add a single MS-DOS partition in their place. Now you should have 3-partitions. EFI protective (OS X Disk Utility won't show you that one, but it is there), OS X, and an MS-DOS partition. At that point, install Chimera, just to verify that you can boot from your HDD into OS X. Then re-install Win8 by allowing it only to format as NTFS the MS-DOS partition. Then boot again into your installed OS X partition using your USB. Then re-install Chimera. At that point Chimera should recognize both systems and allow you to boot into each one. If not, you may have to run gptsync under Linux... it just depends on whether Disk Utility has properly created a hybrid MBR or not -- I find sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

At this point, I would go into OS X Disk Utility and remove the two partitions that make up your Win8 install. Then add a single MS-DOS partition in their place. Now you should have 3-partitions. EFI protective (OS X Disk Utility won't show you that one, but it is there), OS X, and an MS-DOS partition. At that point, install Chimera, just to verify that you can boot from your HDD into OS X. Then re-install Win8 by allowing it only to format as NTFS the MS-DOS partition. Then boot again into your installed OS X partition using your USB. Then re-install Chimera. At that point Chimera should recognize both systems and allow you to boot into each one. If not, you may have to run gptsync under Linux... it just depends on whether Disk Utility has properly created a hybrid MBR or not -- I find sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

Did it.
I was able to install W8 on a single partition (3rd one after EFI hidden partition + ML partition).
I reinstalled Chimaera, but there is no way Chimaera detects W8.

I run live ubuntu from dvd and was able to run gptsync. All done.
Then I reboot but again same issue: got Chimaera and ML working. W8 disappeared from bootloader.

Any help with using gptsync in my case or any other workaround in your mind?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back