Contribute
Register

Dual Boot Windows 8 and Mountain Lion on 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you still have it disabled in BIOS for installing ML?

ohh thank you!!!
it WORKS!!!
Now I dual Booting Win and ML
Thanks you guys!

working on getting my 4530s dual booting also.

Can you direct me to the Probook 5.0b8 installer or latest version please guys.

Thanks

MadMac

I'm successfully boot Win8 and ML on probook 4340s. First - boot with unibeast usb and partition with 3 partitions - first will be windows (fat format), second will be osx (hfs+), third will be share (exFAT) disk to exchange info between win and osx. Then you can install osx as you do regularly with Probook Installer at the end. Now you have osx, and two partitions. Attach USB win8 and boot from it. Select Win8 fat partition and select drive options - format it as nfts - now you can install win8 on it. After reboot you will be able to boot only into windows, but it's not a problem. Just use Unibeast ML usb disk to boot into Chimera boot loader, then select your OSX partition and boot into it. Install Chimera package again. Now you can go into Chamelion Wizard and select default partition to boot into. Reboot and you will see all your partitions now, just select whatever you want.

I recently installed Windows 8 consumer preview on a secondary partition to dual boot with Mountain Lion 10.8.1 and didn't have to reinstall chimera.. anyone know why?

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with my Dual Boot setup. In the past I've been running a Dual Boot w/Win7 and everything works w/o a hitch.
Now after trying to repeat this process with Win8... I start by:
1) creating two partitions, one Mac journaled, another FAT32
2) installing Windows 8
3) boot from Unibeast and install MLion
4) Then after everything is finished and HP Probook installer is through...
I run into trouble. I'm unable to boot without the unibeast usb stick, I have to go thru the process of setting the hard drive to active following this method (I lost the post but credit is due, thanks!):
Open Terminal
sudo -s
Password:*****
fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0
Write new MBR? y
fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
p
f 2
w
y
Writing MBR at offset 0
After this I can boot chimera w/o unibeast but...
I can no longer access the Windows 8 partition! it's not even shown as an drive selection in chimera
Looking at the drive in Mac's Disk Utility it shows the drive as ** /dev/disk0s3: Invalid BS_impBoot in boot block:000000
I looked at RacerRehabMan's post for dual booting(Cleaning BCD bootmgr), which involves copying boot stuff from Win7 but, I'm on a 60gb ssd and can not triple boot (no space!)
Has anyone succeeded dual booting from a single ssd?

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with my Dual Boot setup. In the past I've been running a Dual Boot w/Win7 and everything works w/o a hitch.
Now after trying to repeat this process with Win8... I start by:
1) creating two partitions, one Mac journaled, another FAT32
2) installing Windows 8
3) boot from Unibeast and install MLion
4) Then after everything is finished and HP Probook installer is through...
I run into trouble. I'm unable to boot without the unibeast usb stick, I have to go thru the process of setting the hard drive to active following this method (I lost the post but credit is due, thanks!):
Open Terminal
sudo -s
Password:*****
fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0
Write new MBR? y
fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
p
f 2
w
y
Writing MBR at offset 0
After this I can boot chimera w/o unibeast but...
I can no longer access the Windows 8 partition! it's not even shown as an drive selection in chimera
Looking at the drive in Mac's Disk Utility it shows the drive as ** /dev/disk0s3: Invalid BS_impBoot in boot block:000000
I looked at RacerRehabMan's post for dual booting(Cleaning BCD bootmgr), which involves copying boot stuff from Win7 but, I'm on a 60gb ssd and can not triple boot (no space!)
Has anyone succeeded dual booting from a single ssd?

You probably need to perform a gptsync. See my blog for how to do gptsync under Linux.

Will do (soon) thank you! (Happy Halloween!)

You probably need to perform a gptsync. See my blog for how to do gptsync under Linux.

Ok I finally used the ubuntu usb key, gparted, followed section B steps 8-31 skipping the linux swap, and formatted the 2nd partition as NTFS, but now I'm getting a error installing windows "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." Now, I am using my desktop (GA-Z77-UP5-TH) with a 120gb SSD and a 1tb hdd for storage, but I don't know why I'm having such trouble with this! I wish someone who has succeeded with straight windows8/MLion install on a single drive would let me know if this is a personal problem :(

Ok I finally used the ubuntu usb key, gparted, followed section B steps 8-31 skipping the linux swap, and formatted the 2nd partition as NTFS, but now I'm getting a error installing windows "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." Now, I am using my desktop (GA-Z77-UP5-TH) with a 120gb SSD and a 1tb hdd for storage, but I don't know why I'm having such trouble with this! I wish someone who has succeeded with straight windows8/MLion install on a single drive would let me know if this is a personal problem :(

After you ran gparted, did you run gptsync again? Every time you touch the partition table with gparted, you will have to run gptsync to re-create the mbr partition table. This is because gparted is GPT-based only... and each time it makes a change to the GPT table, it eliminates any MBR table that was there.

In addition, it is pretty common for Windows to say you can't install, only to let you format it there as NTFS, then let you install. But not the specific message you mention -- that usually results (going from memory) when you ave a GPT-only partition setup (not hybrid).

Also be aware that you don't want to edit the partition table with an MBR-only setup... always edit the partition table with a GPT-based program, then use gptsync to create/update the MBR to complete the hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back