Contribute
Register

Dual Boot, Windows 7 and Lion with Unibeast, Working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z77M
CPU
Intel Core i3-3225
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I installed Lion via unibeast on an extra hard drive i had, used that to format the main hard drive and all of the other directions from here:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

however, I now boot into OSX just fine, but no option for Windows 7, However, If i boot via my uniboot flash drive, I do see windows, though I havent actually tried booting to it yet.

Help!?

P.S.

If someone is in the same situation and has already posted about this (with an answer!) please link me and ill delete the repost.

Re: Dual Boot, Windows 7 and Lion with Unibeast, Not Working?

edit if i hit "any key" on load ill get the choice screen, however, when i chose windows i get some error, im trying to "repair windows" via my instal media now.

"Status 0xc000000e

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."

edit: failed.

so now what?

Re: Dual Boot, Windows 7 and Lion with Unibeast, Not Working?

What icons do you see when you "hit any key" at the chimera screen?

Working!

I got it to work by ignoring the last steps where he requests you to make console commands. Skip these steps and it works perfectly, and easier!

If anyone wants more specific steps post back and let me know.

Since you have had success with unibeast and windows 7 dual boot Iwas wondering if I could pick your brain a little. I currently have windows 7 installed on my machine. Would it be possible to shrink my windows volume to create free space and install lion to the free space? Is chameleon the only option for dual boots?

tdramble said:
Since you have had success with unibeast and windows 7 dual boot Iwas wondering if I could pick your brain a little. I currently have windows 7 installed on my machine. Would it be possible to shrink my windows volume to create free space and install lion to the free space? Is chameleon the only option for dual boots?
No, because Win7 wad installed IDE Mode on the SATA ports and MBR on hard drive partition tables. OS X requires AHCI and GUID partition tables to install.

Best to add a second hard drive for OS X if you have the room.

What I just did was take my OSX drive, plug it into my newer system that had RAID 0 on SATA6_0 and SATA6_1. now the other four sata6 ports were on a differenct controller I guess, and gave me the option to set them to AHCI seperately from my raid, and allow booting from it. without having to reinstal anything (windows or OSX, even though i moved the OSX to a new system) I was able to instantly dual boot. the only oddity is when i get the dual boot screen i see OSX, System Partition, and Windows NTFS. Normally you chose Windows NTFS to boot, however that said no MBR found, so i tried the other Windows Partition thing (i forget the exact wording) but that allowed my raid to boot successfully too.

I am having trouble with getting a dual boot going with Win7 and Lion on my 120G SSD. I was following the guide and I found after I got Lion booting, chimera would not boot Win7. . Would get the mentioned error. I tried the terminal switch to boot first Win7 partition and that allowed me to repair my Windows 7 boot - also tried the install chameleon to an EFI partition which also did not allow me to boot my windows 7 without reaching the same error. I would really appreciate some help with this.. Thanks!

If I must, I could install one of the OS on my mechanical data HD, but really would prefer both running on the SSD if I can manage..

Going Bald said:
tdramble said:
No, because Win7 wad installed IDE Mode on the SATA ports and MBR on hard drive partition tables. OS X requires AHCI and GUID partition tables to install.

Well, not exactly "no". I don't see why he couldn't image his W7 installation to another drive, wipe the original drive, use UniBeast to set up and partition that drive into 2 partitions (one for Lion one for W7) then restore his W7 image to the new W7 partition.

You may be right that it is easier to just put El Leon on a different drive, but i don't think it's necessary.

SHPMac said:
Going Bald said:
tdramble said:
No, because Win7 was installed IDE Mode on the SATA ports and MBR on hard drive partition tables. OS X requires AHCI and GUID partition tables to install.

Well, not exactly "no". I don't see why he couldn't image his W7 installation to another drive, wipe the original drive, use UniBeast to set up and partition that drive into 2 partitions (one for Lion one for W7) then restore his W7 image to the new W7 partition.

You may be right that it is easier to just put El Leon on a different drive, but i don't think it's necessary.
Yes, exactly "no" to the question asked - see bold above.

That said, something he can try if he has another drive, he can use the disk management tools in Win7 to create an image, copy that image to the spare drive (USB, Flash drive if large enough, etc.).

Then boot UniBeast, format the target drive, exit the OS X installer, boot the Win7 DVD and use the recovery tools to restore the image to the Win7 partition. Then Install Lion in the other partition and run MultiBeast to install the Chimera boot loader. In this case I would suggest putting the Win7 in the first partition on the reformatted HDD rather than the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back