Contribute
Register

Dual boot Windows 10 and EI Capital (install) question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I install Windows 10 first (1st partition),
and then EI Capital ? (2nd partition)

Use win10 installer to split 2 partitions, format 1st partition to NTFS
after install win10, use EI Capital installer to format 2nd partition to OS X Entended

Can I install Windows 10 first (1st partition),
and then EI Capital ? (2nd partition)

Use win10 installer to split 2 partitions, format 1st partition to NTFS
after install win10, use EI Capital installer to format 2nd partition to OS X Entended
Problem with installing Win10 first is the EFI partition and making sure Win10 is installed UEFI. The Win10 installer creates a Windows Recovery Tools partition, then the EFI partition, a Microsoft Reserved partition and then the NTFS system partition.
The EFI partition is only 100MB - OS X wants the EFI partition to be 200MB or larger and wants it to be the first partition on the drive.
So, one way to make them both happy to install is to boot OS X install UniBeast USB and format the drive GUID Mac OS X for both the Windows partition and the OS X partition. This gets you the EFI partitions of 200MB+ as the first partition to make OS X happy and it formats the drive with GUID partition tables to get Win10 to install GPT+.
Then you can exit the OS X installer without installing, boot the Win10 installer UEFI mode and use the Win10 format engine do delete the Win10 partition only, then format the free space for a naw NTFS Win10 partition and install Win10. Once you have Win10 installed and updated to no more updates you can go ahead and install OS X on the remaining partition.

i see..
my current situation is:
I've already installed Win10. (created 2 partitions, one for windows 10, one for OSX later)
So, I followed the other post to create OSX EI Capital USB, and try to install OSX to my second partition.
However, when I tried to format the second partition for OSX using disk utility, error "failed....no enough space..." showed.
(According to your reply, I got that it is 100MB and 200MB EFI problem..... )
So, I need to erase the harddisk, and set the partition and format again (via OSX installer disk utility), right?

(Actually, I don't want to format Win10 partition, I don't want to setup win 10 again, so any alternative??)

i see..
my current situation is:
I've already installed Win10. (created 2 partitions, one for windows 10, one for OSX later)
So, I followed the other post to create OSX EI Capital USB, and try to install OSX to my second partition.
However, when I tried to format the second partition for OSX using disk utility, error "failed....no enough space..." showed.
(According to your reply, I got that it is 100MB and 200MB EFI problem..... )
So, I need to erase the harddisk, and set the partition and format again (via OSX installer disk utility), right?

(Actually, I don't want to format Win10 partition, I don't want to setup win 10 again, so any alternative??)
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mavericks-windows-8-on-same-drive-without-erasing.133940/page-2 see post #13

EDIT: If you follow Rehabman's procedure you will not be able to "refresh" Win10 - you lose this capability with the elimination or the WinReTools partition.

OK. thanks for help.
Finally, I formatted the win 10, and start to install all again (install OSX, and then install Win 10)
One thing want to share to everyone.
If use diskutil to split 2 partitions in osx installer(1 for mac osx, 1 for win 10), do not format win 10 partition to FAT32 / exFAT. Otherwise, when installing Win 10, error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has a MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."" will be shown.
Because it will format to hybrid MBR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back