Contribute
Register

Dual Boot (Win 10) no longer possible after Sierra install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
h77-ds3h (OSX 10.8.2)
CPU
i5 3570k
Graphics
HD4000 / EVGA GTX 660 SC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey folks,
Had an odd experience. Since building my hackintosh (thanks entirely to this community!) in 2012, I have always dual booted some flavor of windows and MacOS from separate drives. I have updated both operating systems several times, always opting to update my Mac side by backing up, erasing the drive, installing clean, and using migration assistant.

In upgrading to Sierra I did the same, only this time now my bios doesn't see my 500gb sandisk sdd containing my windows 10 install. My Mac side sees it and i can browse through it in finder, and even Clover shows two windows drives (odd since i have only one) but all attempts to boot windows through clover have resulted in a black screen with upper-left flashing white rectangle only.

I'm happy to provide any information or images requested and sincerely appreciate any help!

Best,
J

If OSX reads the drive the BIOS "sees" it. You are probably not drilling through the BIOS menus correctly to list the Windows drive as a boot option.
If Clover sees the Windows drive but you can not boot from it and you have installed OSX for UEFI booting then Windows is not booting from UEFI or the Windows boot section is corrupted.
If you can fix your mobo settings and boot from Windows directly you will have to choose which OS to boot from via the BIOS when you start the computer. Presumably you could reinstall OSX to be boot compatible with Windows if you want to try to use Clover.
If Windows will not boot because the boot sector is corrupted you must use the install media to try to automatically or manually recreate the boot section. The latter is often easier and faster. I think this is where you are headed--I am guessing that Clover is seeing the Windows UEFI partition and the Windows partition.
It is advisable to disconnect the OSX or Windows drive when working on installation or major changes like this on the other OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back