i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've had Yosemite up and running happily via Clover and wanted to add Windows 7 capability, so I installed Windows 7 on a separate SSD and added it to my computer. When I boot up, at the clover boot screen I can choose to boot MAC OS (UEFI) or Windows Legacy. When I choose 'Windows' I get a black screen with a flashing prompt.

Did I need to install Windows with UEFI boot rather than Legacy? If so, is there any way to do that after the fact, or do I have to reinstall Windows on that drive?

I can dual boot now by hitting F12 on startup and choosing the Windows drive as my startup drive, but it would all be so much easier if I could make the choice with Clover.

Any thoughts? I've searched all over here, but am mostly just confused at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigabyte Z97N-Wifi, i5 4690K, MSI GTX760 mini itx graphics, 16GB G Skill Ares F3-1866C10D-16GABMemory

I've had Yosemite up and running happily via Clover and wanted to add Windows 7 capability, so I installed Windows 7 on a separate SSD and added it to my computer. When I boot up, at the clover boot screen I can choose to boot MAC OS (UEFI) or Windows Legacy. When I choose 'Windows' I get a black screen with a flashing prompt.

Did I need to install Windows with UEFI boot rather than Legacy? If so, is there any way to do that after the fact, or do I have to reinstall Windows on that drive?

I can dual boot now by hitting F12 on startup and choosing the Windows drive as my startup drive, but it would all be so much easier if I could make the choice with Clover.

Any thoughts? I've searched all over here, but am mostly just confused at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigabyte Z97N-Wifi, i5 4690K, MSI GTX760 mini itx graphics, 16GB G Skill Ares F3-1866C10D-16GABMemory

Yes, you needed to install Windows with UEFI boot. Yes, you have to reinstall Windows to change it.

Thanks for the response!

I've done a web search to find a guide on how to install Win 7 with UEFI boot. I tried one approach but couldn't get my windows 7 install disk to format the drive properly for UEFI boot install. Can you offer any advice on the best way to install (I'll just put the install on a fresh disk and start from scratch)?

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back