Graphics
AMD
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have installed OS X Snow Leopard on my first HDD drive, and disconnected the drive. Then I connected my second HDD and installed Windows XP on it. Now I have two working installations and I would like to use Chameleon or the Darwin loader for selecting, which OS to choose upon reboot. My motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 allows me to use F12 BIOS which disk to boot from - but this is not user friendly!

How can I make Chameleon or Darwin to boot Windows XP. It can see the XP disk, but when chosen, only black screen and a cursor is present. I use OS X mainly, and only from time to time want to boot into XP.

Thank you for your advice.

Attachments

• chameleon-bootloader.jpg
    chameleon-bootloader.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,360
WinXP will not boot unless its HDD is first in HDD boot order in the BIOS. To get it to boot with Chimera / Chameleon, create a 100Mb partition at the end of the WinXP HDD formatted FAT32. Copy your /Extra from the OS X HDD to this partition. Run either the standalone installer or run MutiBeast and select only to install Chimera and point it at the WinXP HDD. Then boot to BIOS and make the WinXP HDD first in HDD boot order.

Going Bald said:
WinXP will not boot unless its HDD is first in HDD boot order in the BIOS. To get it to boot with Chimera / Chameleon, create a 100Mb partition at the end of the WinXP HDD formatted FAT32. Copy your /Extra from the OS X HDD to this partition. Run either the standalone installer or run MutiBeast and select only to install Chimera and point it at the WinXP HDD. Then boot to BIOS and make the WinXP HDD first in HDD boot order.

It still does not start into Windows XP. This is my situation:
I connected the Windows XP HDD as first into SATA_0 port. Then I set it as first in BIOS.
But when I use "diskutil list" in Terminal, the Win XP disk is listed as /dev/disk1 after the Hackintosh disk0. I guess this could be the problem.

I guess I have to change some configuration file in Chameleon to say what is the first boot device. Any ideas? Thank you.

If you have copied the contents of your /Extra file to the partition on the WinXP drive and installed Chimera on the WinXP drive and made the WinXP drive first in HDD boot order in the BIOS, then it should boot from that /Extra file. To be sure, delete the boot file from the SL /Extra directory - that way you know it is booting from the WinXP drive.

I essentially the same setup as you and it works perfectly. The only difference is I created a 100mb Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition called Chimera on the XP drive. The second partition is formatted NT and has XP installed on it.

Drive1 the first drive in the bios used to boot -
100 mb mac formatted partition with Extra directory copied and Chimera installed.
900 mb NT formatted partition with XP installed.

Drive2 Mac OS (Lion or SL).

Going Bald said:
If you have copied the contents of your /Extra file to the partition on the WinXP drive and installed Chimera on the WinXP drive and made the WinXP drive first in HDD boot order in the BIOS, then it should boot from that /Extra file. To be sure, delete the boot file from the SL /Extra directory - that way you know it is booting from the WinXP drive.

Thank you Going Bald,

I did exaclty as you said, but still does not work. I am using the F12 key which takes me to BIOS Menu boot and I choose the XP from there.

I actually re-installed everything when I was trying different solutions. My current setup is this:
Drive 1: Sata_0 1TB Seagate, GUID partition, Snow Leopard
Drive 2: Sata_2 1TB WD, MBR XP Windows

I deleted the small extra partition for Chameleon and use the F12 key in BIOS to choose XP OS. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back