Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,

I had a perfectly running dual boot hackintosh (system 1 in my sig) running on the same 1TB HDD up until a few days ago (followed Tonys brilliant guide!). Now, when I turn on my machine the OS X side won't boot (Windows 7 runs fine). It gets to the Apple screen then a progress bar starts underneath the Apple logo. After halfway through the progress bar the computer shuts down. I am unable to boot using iBoot, through safe mode, and when I boot verbose it says it can't load the kexts? I am officially stumped :problem:

I have a backup of my OS X system partition (Windows 7 not important) but I am unsure of how to go about fixing this without wiping the whole 1TB and starting over from scratch... Any thoughts?

Same problem here, have not looked into it yet as it is on a friends system, but he is reporting a progress bar that he has never seen before and a system shutdown halfway through the boot process....

have you had any luck yet?

Stuart

As far as your recovery goes,

Use iboot, - insert Snowleopard retail DVD and continue and get yourself to Disk utility.

Choose 'restore' and restore your working backup image to the same partition as the damaged osx partition

reboot using iboot, choose recovered image and run mulitbeast again if you need to.

this way your windows partition will remain the same.

Stuart

surfstu,

Thanks a ton! I wasn't able to get OS X working. I ended up using this as an excuse to build a new i7 sandy bridge machine. I was looking to upgrade to hyperthreading + more PCIe x16 lanes, so I ordered a 2600k, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD5, and a Corsair 500R case.

I would've had to take out the extra memory (16GB) which would've meant taking apart pretty much the entire system :( My case is rather small (Lian Li PC-351v) and wasn't made for tinkering unfortunately. I have already stripped most of the screws making upgrades and such :oops:

I will use your advice once I get my new MB and CPU which should be coming any day now. Will report back when I get everything together!

You will have to re-install Win7. It's part of the Microsoft anti-piracy thing. When you install, it creates a file record of your hardware that the boot process checks against. If it doesn't match at least fairly close, Win7 won't even boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back