Contribute
Register

Dual Boot Problems from same hard drive install: Mavericks / Windows 7 (Bootloader being bypassed af

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
CPU
i7-5820K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Lisa
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a computer I am setting up for my dad with only 1 hard drive partitioned for both Mavericks and Windows 7. This is a brand new system and apparently I am getting rusty!!!

Here is the problem: After dual install of Mavericks / Windows 7, and successful install of 10.9.2 + Multibeast, the computer does not seem to register the Chimera bootloader installed on reboot, and boots straight into windows 7 every time! When I insert the USB Installer I am able to see the boot menu and pick windows or mac, but without the USB stick it defaults to windows with no choice!

(using usb stick to boot is not an option because I get no sound on boot and am forced to use boot flag maxmem=4096)

Here is the build:
Intel I3 4130 Haswell Processor
Gigabyte Z87-DS3H Motherboard
Asus GT 630 Nvidia Graphics
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz
1TB Western Digital Desktop Drive 7200Rpm

Bios settings: Memory setting to "profile 1" with all optimized defaults loaded and sata ahci mode. not sure if i need anything else?

I have been looking at many guides on how to get it running over and over and it seems fairly simple. On my own i5 system I am dual booting no problem, although windows and mac are on separate hard drives. With this computer only having one hard drive, getting the partitions to work together is hard work.

Can anyone help me figure out how to solve this problem? The bootloader is being bypassed for some reason even though it is installed on Mavericks using multibeast. I do see some sort of dos text on boot that it usually shows for a split second before loading the hard drive selection screen, but instead of loading that, it just goes straight to windows. Strange! I think it is registering the bootloader but for some reason it is automatically selecting windows before it even gives me a choice. Thanks for any help I would really appreciate it!

hey thanks, got it working! Used the guide and booted into the installer and used terminal. took 5 minutes! Going Bald I actually used your guide to dual install, thanks for that. Not sure where i read how to get it to automatically go to the operating system selection screen instead of the timer bar, i know you said something about that somewhere? any idea? I want it to bypass the "press any key for boot up options" timer bar and just go to where i can select osx and windows.

Overall system now working perfectly except i can't figure out how to enable sound. Trying all these codecs and kexts nothing is working I think I am going to make a thread about that as well. Thanks for your help.

Did you install chimera?

Did you install chimera?

yes chimera is installed 3.0.1... just reread going bald's dual install guide, and was able to bypass the "timeout screen" and go straight to operating system selection on boot!!!

last thing is sound... I'm gonna make another thread because i have never had such a hard time getting sound working on a mackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back