Contribute
Register

Dual boot OS X 10.8.5 / Windows 8.1 with SSD & HDD configured as FusionDrive / Intel Smart-Response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys!

This is my first post and I really hope to get some help. I'm planning to upgrade my desktop (Windows gaming-PC) to the following components with the ability of setting up a Hackintosh, too (based on the buyers guide):

CPU: Intel i5 4670k (Haswell)
Mobo: Gigabyte Z87M-D3H / Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H (which one to go with?)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP - 8GB Kit
Video: MSI Radeon HD 7850 OC - 2GB (already got this one - did not plan to build a Hackintosh when I purchased it)

So this far I don't have any problems (yet), the tricky part (?) comes as follows:
My MacBook is running a self-build FusionDrive (Samsung 830 - 256GB + Samsung HDD - 1TB) which is working absolutely great! I don't want to miss this in my desktop (Mac) when setting up a Hackintosh! The compromise of speed and disk space is exactly what I want (and need).

After some research I found the Windows-based equivalent - called: Intel Smart-Response (info here).

What I am thinking of is a set-up like this - I please you (those who can help with reliable answers) to comment if it is working:

SSD: 128GB Samsung 840 Pro
HDD: 2TB Seagate/WD

1) I want to divide the SSD in half (~64GB for Windows / ~64GB for Mac OS X)
2) I want to divide the HDD in half (~1TB for Windows / ~1TB for Mac OS X)
3) I want to set up a FusionDrive (~64GB SSD + ~1TB HDD)
4) I want to set up a Windows Intel Smart-Response - drive (~64GB SSD + ~1TB HDD)

My question is: Is this practically working (with all these Bios-Settings needed to set up the Hackintosh)?

I'd like to purchase everything correctly from the start.

Really looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance!
Tobias

Hey guys!

This is my first post and I really hope to get some help. I'm planning to upgrade my desktop (Windows gaming-PC) to the following components with the ability of setting up a Hackintosh, too (based on the buyers guide):

CPU: Intel i5 4670k (Haswell)
Mobo: Gigabyte Z87M-D3H / Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H (which one to go with?)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP - 8GB Kit
Video: MSI Radeon HD 7850 OC - 2GB (already got this one - did not plan to build a Hackintosh when I purchased it)

So this far I don't have any problems (yet), the tricky part (?) comes as follows:
My MacBook is running a self-build FusionDrive (Samsung 830 - 256GB + Samsung HDD - 1TB) which is working absolutely great! I don't want to miss this in my desktop (Mac) when setting up a Hackintosh! The compromise of speed and disk space is exactly what I want (and need).

After some research I found the Windows-based equivalent - called: Intel Smart-Response (info here).

What I am thinking of is a set-up like this - I please you (those who can help with reliable answers) to comment if it is working:

SSD: 128GB Samsung 840 Pro
HDD: 2TB Seagate/WD

1) I want to divide the SSD in half (~64GB for Windows / ~64GB for Mac OS X)
2) I want to divide the HDD in half (~1TB for Windows / ~1TB for Mac OS X)
3) I want to set up a FusionDrive (~64GB SSD + ~1TB HDD)
4) I want to set up a Windows Intel Smart-Response - drive (~64GB SSD + ~1TB HDD)

My question is: Is this practically working (with all these Bios-Settings needed to set up the Hackintosh)?

I'd like to purchase everything correctly from the start.

Really looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance!
Tobias
Your best option is to spend a bit more and get separate drives for OS X and Win7/8. With a separate SSD for Win7/8 you would not need the smart response. You could still store your files on a separate drive - just name the partition and drag/drop it in Libraries on the Windows desktop explorer. Or you could move your User/app data files to the HDD partition during install if you want.

I don't think I have seen anything like what you are proposing and I am not sure it will work. The closest is moving your Users/app data to a separate drive when you install Win7/8 and doing the same in OS X.
You do realize that a smart response drive is only the stuff you use most often stored on the SSD by the Win7/8 OS and your main install of Windows is on the HDD, right? You could probably drop the Win7/8 side of that SSD to 20-30Gb and still have plenty of room.

Your best option is to spend a bit more and get separate drives for OS X and Win7/8. With a separate SSD for Win7/8 you would not need the smart response. You could still store your files on a separate drive - just name the partition and drag/drop it in Libraries on the Windows desktop explorer. Or you could move your User/app data files to the HDD partition during install if you want.

I don't think I have seen anything like what you are proposing and I am not sure it will work. The closest is moving your Users/app data to a separate drive when you install Win7/8 and doing the same in OS X.
You do realize that a smart response drive is only the stuff you use most often stored on the SSD by the Win7/8 OS and your main install of Windows is on the HDD, right? You could probably drop the Win7/8 side of that SSD to 20-30Gb and still have plenty of room.
Hi there,

thanks for your reply! A question first: Is it possible to set-up a working FusionDrive if RAID is activated in BIOS? If not - no chance to get it working like I'm planning to. Fact is: I want a FusionDrive if I'm setting up a Hackintosh.

What about purchasing a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo and split it in half? It's not as much as two single 120GB Evo's.

I'd add a 2TB (half / half) HDD and
1) Set-up a FusionDrive
2) Set-up Windows on the free (2nd partition) 125GB of the SSD.
3) Use the 1TB HDD for data if the SSD runs full.

Is this a working possibility (by dismissing the Intel Smart-Response thingy)?

Thanks in advance,
Tobias

Hi there,

thanks for your reply! A question first: Is it possible to set-up a working FusionDrive if RAID is activated in BIOS? If not - no chance to get it working like I'm planning to. Fact is: I want a FusionDrive if I'm setting up a Hackintosh.

What about purchasing a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo and split it in half? It's not as much as two single 120GB Evo's.

I'd add a 2TB (half / half) HDD and
1) Set-up a FusionDrive
2) Set-up Windows on the free (2nd partition) 125GB of the SSD.
3) Use the 1TB HDD for data if the SSD runs full.

Is this a working possibility (by dismissing the Intel Smart-Response thingy)?

Thanks in advance,
Tobias
So far as I know, setting the SATA ports to RAID mode prohibits the install of OS X - it must be AHCI.
IIRC, for Windows smart response, you must enable the smart response in BIOS and set the SATA ports for RAID. Bit of a conflict here.
OS X does not recognize Windows BIOS RAID as a valid RAID array and Windows won't recognize an OS X RAID array.
Personally, I would stay away from RAID on a multi-boot setup - too many headaches :banghead:

Hi there,

thanks again! I guess I'm sticking to two 120GB SSD's and a 2TB Harddrive then. Too bad it most likely won't work out like I hoped. :(

Cheers, Tobias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back