Contribute
Register

dual boot not showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
that what i did on my old hdd but now that i got an ssd as a gift i duplicated my mountain lion install to the ssd and it worked no problem but now that i do the exact same method i used to install windows to the ssd mac and chimera just dont want anything to do with it also i got an ntfs driver for mac that claims to allow me to format my partition into NTFS and if i reboot in chimera without installing windows chimera recognizes the ntfs and allows me to boot from it which does nothing since its blank but if i install windows to it with out formatting or anything im back to square one where chimera doesnt recognize it and disk utility claims its ms-dos fat and grays it out is my partition table getting ruined by the windows installation?

that what i did on my old hdd but now that i got an ssd as a gift i duplicated my mountain lion install to the ssd and it worked no problem but now that i do the exact same method i used to install windows to the ssd mac and chimera just dont want anything to do with it also i got an ntfs driver for mac that claims to allow me to format my partition into NTFS and if i reboot in chimera without installing windows chimera recognizes the ntfs and allows me to boot from it which does nothing since its blank but if i install windows to it with out formatting or anything im back to square one where chimera doesnt recognize it and disk utility claims its ms-dos fat and grays it out is my partition table getting ruined by the windows installation?

I can't tell from here, but you should be ok if you simply format it in the Windows installer. Don't delete it, add it back, then format it. Format it in-place. I can only guess you are somehow damaging the integrity of the partition tables and that is what is causing Chimera to not recognize it.

You might want to refer to my blog (see signature). I wrote a guide (step-by-step) for installing Win7/Win8/Lion/Ubuntu to the same HDD. Section C covers Windows install. You can skip sections you don't want. My guide does initial partition setup in OS X Disk Utility, then some modifications/formatting in Ubuntu gparted, followed up by a gptsync.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back