Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS STRIX Z270F GAMING
CPU
I7 7600
Graphics
gtx 1050
Hi friends

I am losing my mind over this, so I have decided to seek help amongst you guys. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge:)

So here is the thing, my old build was running El Capitan supersmooth, but when the system was to old to upgrade to the newest version of Logic pro and Sierra, I decided to make a new build from a Lenovo Thinkcentre, with the following specs:

- I5 2400 3,1 GHZ
- 16 ddr3 RAM
- Nvidia 1050
- custom Lenovo Mobo (https://www.cnet.com/products/lenov...re-i5-2400-3-1-ghz-4-gb-500-gb-sela9ge/specs/)

So I installed Sierra on a new SSD, and after a few days of tweaking everything was working like a charm. But on my old system I had a lot of Logic Projects that I need, so at first I tried importing them, but a lot of files was missing, and a lot of plugins was missing as well. So now i am trying to boot up my old SSD with El Capitan on my new rig. The first time i tried, it actually booted up, but with a few graphical glitches, and it didnt recognise my GPU. But when I saw my old system on my new rig I was thrilled:)

But when I booted up the second time it was stuck at the apple logo, and then it reboots. I tried in safe mode and without "reebot after kernel panic"- flags, and i get the dreaded CPU 0 caller 0xfff fail.

So since I am terribly afraid of doing anything that would compromise my system and my old hdd, I thought I would ask the experts. Is this even possible, and do you have any advice?

If this works I would be truly grateful, and I swear I will dedicate my life into making the world a better place:)

Best regards
Kristian

You tried Migration Assistant(a program in Programs/Utilities) to get your stuff over to your new system?
Just copying a bunch of files is not going to work.

Yes I tried migration assistant, but my old ssd is 500 gigs (and almost full) and the new i only 250.

I tried making a clone of the El Capitan (to an external device), then deleting the ssd, then cloning my new Sierra system, then migrating my El Capitan to my newnew ssd, but then i get the the same problem. I tried only copying the applications, and only the files, but then all of the logic files was missing plugins and audi files. I think this is because of my new Sierra 250 gigs partion has a new useraccount (perhaps?)

Yes I tried migration assistant, but my old ssd is 500 gigs (and almost full) and the new i only 250.

I tried making a clone of the El Capitan (to an external device), then deleting the ssd, then cloning my new Sierra system, then migrating my El Capitan to my newnew ssd, but then i get the the same problem. I tried only copying the applications, and only the files, but then all of the logic files was missing plugins and audi files. I think this is because of my new Sierra 250 gigs partion has a new useraccount (perhaps?)
A lot of the files you are missing are probably installed to the Library folders, /Library or ~/Library and the installations may be specific to the machine you installed to (authorisations, licenses etc). Unless you know where everything is in the filesystem, you should copy your documents/data to your home folder and re-install the software on the new machine. Keep your old disk handy in case you need to search out specific configurations, patches and other items as you go on.

A lot of the files you are missing are probably installed to the Library folders, /Library or ~/Library and the installations may be specific to the machine you installed to (authorisations, licenses etc). Unless you know where everything is in the filesystem, you should copy your documents/data to your home folder and re-install the software on the new machine. Keep your old disk handy in case you need to search out specific configurations, patches and other items as you go on.

Exactly:) This is the reason I am wishing there is a possibility to dual boot. If I could boot up my old system, AND update to Sierra it would be magic:)

Exactly:) This is the reason I am wishing there is a possibility to dual boot. If I could boot up my old system, AND update to Sierra it would be magic:)
You might start by disconnecting your sierra drive, and trying booting el capitan with a suitable unibeast stick (try safeboot).

aaahaaaaaa, so its possible to.... yes offcourse.... Man I am stupid.... Ok, so I will give my old system a go with a suitible unibeast stick, boot it up, update to Sierra (wich have native drivers for my GPU), and voila a system that matches my current, and the latest version of OS... Thnx a lot Vulgo, I have been looking down the wrong rabbit hole:)

aaahaaaaaa, so its possible to.... yes offcourse.... Man I am stupid.... Ok, so I will give my old system a go with a suitible unibeast stick, boot it up, update to Sierra (wich have native drivers for my GPU), and voila a system that matches my current, and the latest version of OS... Thnx a lot Vulgo, I have been looking down the wrong rabbit hole:)
If it boots, i'd uninstall any third party kexts before updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back