Contribute
Register

Dual boot Mavericks and windows 7 on two different SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/106748-tonymacx86s-haswell-matx-ga-z87mx-d3h-i7-4770k-hd-460
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi

I've built my machine today and everything went well, thanks to the help of this forum

I now have OSX mavericks on the primary SSD 120GB and the second SSD isn't plugged in yet but I want to use windows 7 on this

Then I have a 3rd 2TB HDD for storage,music and apps etc etc

I don't really understand want I need to do to get dual booting working. Could someone please help

Also whilst i'm asking silly questions, whats the best why to install applications on a HDD and not the primary SSD where the OS is installed.

Hi

I've built my machine today and everything went well, thanks to the help of this forum

I now have OSX mavericks on the primary SSD 120GB and the second SSD isn't plugged in yet but I want to use windows 7 on this

Then I have a 3rd 2TB HDD for storage,music and apps etc etc

I don't really understand want I need to do to get dual booting working. Could someone please help

Also whilst i'm asking silly questions, whats the best why to install applications on a HDD and not the primary SSD where the OS is installed.

Is easy on separate drives - see the sticky guide in this forum. Also has links to installing Users/apps/home directories on other drives than the OS drive.

Hi

I followed the guide and its still not working 100%

I have 2 x SSD with windows 7 on one and OSX on the other

At bootup I can press F12 and enter the boot menu, then select either SSD and windows or OSX can boot

But when I change the primary boot device as the OSX SSD it always boots windows 7

If I press F12 and select the OSX SSD, I can then see windows 7 or OSX in the boot startup menu with my bootloader

Can anyone help please

Thanks

Hi

I followed the guide and its still not working 100%

I have 2 x SSD with windows 7 on one and OSX on the other

At bootup I can press F12 and enter the boot menu, then select either SSD and windows or OSX can boot

But when I change the primary boot device as the OSX SSD it always boots windows 7

If I press F12 and select the OSX SSD, I can then see windows 7 or OSX in the boot startup menu with my bootloader

Can anyone help please

Thanks
Does the Windows 7 in the boot startup say EFI or UEFI?
Check the Win7 drive in the Windows drive partition manager tool - if the drive has an EFI partition you installed it EFI. You need to install Legacy mode to dual boot with Chimera.

Does the Windows 7 in the boot startup say EFI or UEFI?
Check the Win7 drive in the Windows drive partition manager tool - if the drive has an EFI partition you installed it EFI. You need to install Legacy mode to dual boot with Chimera.

Got it working thanks

My mistake, the UEFI BIOS was confusing me.

Yes I installed windows 7 on the SSD using legacy and it wasn't showing correctly in the BIOS

All working now.

Many thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back