Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > ASUS PRIME Z370-P II
CPU
i7 > 8700k
Graphics
Intel 8700k
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a machine capable of dual booting. I need a copy of Mac OS 10.10 as well as 10.13.5, but I've read that some GPU's may be incompatible with older OS's. A lot of the builds I have seen seem to be geared towards the latest operating systems.

I really don't need a fancy GPU. I'm building a machine for audio production, so CPU is my biggest concern.

I'm looking at this GPU:
Gigabyte GT 1030 LOW Profile GeForce GT1030 Internal Graphic Card 2048 MB

If pertinent, I'll also mention a few other current selections:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D26BFSCK 16 GB Kit
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-A II LGA1151
Thuderbolt: ASUS THUNDERBOLTEX 3 CARD PCI EXPRESS3.0X4
Boot drive: Samsung 250 GB 860 EVO Sata III

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to keep the machine build under £1000.

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a machine capable of dual booting. I need a copy of Mac OS 10.10 as well as 10.13.5, but I've read that some GPU's may be incompatible with older OS's. A lot of the builds I have seen seem to be geared towards the latest operating systems.

I really don't need a fancy GPU. I'm building a machine for audio production, so CPU is my biggest concern.

I'm looking at this GPU:
Gigabyte GT 1030 LOW Profile GeForce GT1030 Internal Graphic Card 2048 MB

If pertinent, I'll also mention a few other current selections:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D26BFSCK 16 GB Kit
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-A II LGA1151
Thuderbolt: ASUS THUNDERBOLTEX 3 CARD PCI EXPRESS3.0X4
Boot drive: Samsung 250 GB 860 EVO Sata III

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to keep the machine build under £1000.

Yosemite (10.10) has no support for your build (Coffee Lake). If you want to run Yosemite as well as High Sierra, you need to use older hardware such as Intel 8 or 9 series chipset motherboards (X99 / Z97 / Z87 etc.) with a corresponding CPU (4th or 5th generation CPU).

The GT 1030 is also not supported under Yosemite. The required Nvidia drivers are only available under Sierra (10.12) and High Sierra (10.13). You will need an older graphics card (such as GTX 760) to run Yosemite.

My X99 build and Sandy Bridge build are capable of running Yosemite / El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra.

Thank you very much for this. Definitely stopped me from falling in that trap.

I think I'll just go with a single operating system then with the latest.

Are those specs still ok for 10.13 up?

Thank you very much for this. Definitely stopped me from falling in that trap.

I think I'll just go with a single operating system then with the latest.

Are those specs still ok for 10.13 up?

Not sure about your Thunderbolt card but otherwise the build should be compatible with High Sierra.

The GT 1030 is not supported in Mojave (10.14) and the forthcoming Catalina (10.15) due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers.

Not sure about your Thunderbolt card but otherwise the build should be compatible with High Sierra.

The GT 1030 is not supported in Mojave (10.14) and the forthcoming Catalina (10.15) due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers.

Thank you again! Any budget (future proof ish) GPU that you would recommend?

Thank you again! Any budget (future proof ish) GPU that you would recommend?

You can use the CPU integrated graphics in the i7 8700 if you want to run Mojave and later.

If you prefer a dedicated graphics card, you can consider a RX 560 (avoid XFX).

You can use the CPU integrated graphics in the i7 8700 if you want to run Mojave and later.

If you prefer a dedicated graphics card, you can consider a RX 560 (avoid XFX).

Thank you eternally! I've just ordered all my parts. I'll post how I get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back