Contribute
Register

Dual boot - Lion & Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System make and model names > See Rules!
CPU
> Need full CPU model number > See Rules!
Graphics
> Need model name or version number > See Rules!
I installed Lion and Win 7 on separate drives. I used MultiBeast to do the Lion install and when I get to the Chimera screen, all I see is Lion and Windows NTFS. When I choose Windows I get the "bootmgr is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart" message.

I know I'm supposed to choose System Reserved to boot Win7 but I do not see it. I can only see it in the BIOS and if I choose it, Win7 boots fine. I can also boot Lion fine as well.

Is there a way to see it and boot from Chimera?

hockeyman96 said:
I installed Lion and Win 7 on separate drives. I used MultiBeast to do the Lion install and when I get to the Chimera screen, all I see is Lion and Windows NTFS. When I choose Windows I get the "bootmgr is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart" message.

I know I'm supposed to choose System Reserved to boot Win7 but I do not see it. I can only see it in the BIOS and if I choose it, Win7 boots fine. I can also boot Lion fine as well.

The master boot record is hard drive that windows is installed on.

So the problem is, when you load your Lion hard drive first, windows does not see its efi partition it made on the beginning of that drive (if that makes sense)

Solution:

Change the boot order in your bios to the windows hardrive first, and Lion second. So automatically, your computer will boot Windows, and you'll just need to hit the boot device button (usually f8) and select your Lion hard drive if you want to boot mac.

hockeyman96 said:

It should be visible in Chimera. run diskutil list in terminal. If you see something like this:Win7 drive.png then you should also be able to see the System Reserved partition in Chimera. It may be just off the screen - try tapping your right arrow key a couple of times.
Did you preformat your Win7 drive before installing?

Attachments

• Win7 drive.png
    Win7 drive.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 298
I formatted the Win7 drive in the Win7 installer. I tried hitting the right arrow in chimera but I only see 2 partitions. Lion and Windows NTFS. I do see the System Reserved partition in the diskutil list in terminal. Is there a way to make it visible in chimera?

Was your lion disk connected to your system when you installed windows on the other disk? Cause if it was, windows likes to play tricks by putting its boot record on drives besides its own (I think that's what brownin was saying also). Ether way if windows did do that then you won't be able to boot from chameleon or chimera. This is the reason it is recommended that you physically remove all but the target drive when installing windows.

If you did only have the one drive plugged in when you installed, then im lost :|

ChiefWizard said:
Was your lion disk connected to your system when you installed windows on the other disk? Cause if it was, windows likes to play tricks by putting its boot record on drives besides its own (I think that's what brownin was saying also). Ether way if windows did do that then you won't be able to boot from chameleon or chimera. This is the reason it is recommended that you physically remove all but the target drive when installing windows.

If you did only have the one drive plugged in when you installed, then im lost :|

I only had the windows drive plugged in when I installed Win7. The Lion drive was unplugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back