Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte EX58-UD4
CPU
i7 920 CPU + 6GB RAM
Graphics
GeForce 9500 GT 1024 MB
I am a noob for sure, I purchased this computer dual boot separate drives, with clover. It automatically boots up in Win 10, I have to hit F12 at BIOS, then select Hard Drive, then select "disk 2" then Clover loads after 4 or 5 sec. it boots Mac OS Sierra. I dont use Windows that often and would like the "option" switched so I would select F12 on BIOS if I want Windows. I believe the issue is here. I used EFI Mountain Show to retrieve Info.

Mobo:
Gigabyte EX58-UD4
CPU:
i7 920 CPU + 6GB RAM
Graphics:
GeForce 9500 GT 1024 MB

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0</string>
<key>Debug</key>
<true/>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>OSX-SIERRA</string>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>3</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<string>NO</string>
</dict>
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
<key>FakeID</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>IMEI</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>IntelGFX</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>LAN</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>NVidia</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>SATA</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>WIFI</key>
<string>0x0</string>
<key>XHCI</key>
<string>0x0</string>
</dict>
<key>USB</key>
<dict>
<key>FixOwnership</key>
<false/>
<key>Inject</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>UseIntelHDMI</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>DisableDrivers</key>
<array>
<string>Nothing</string>
</array>
<key>GUI</key>
<dict>
<key>Hide</key>
<array>
<string>Windows</string>
<string>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI</string>
</array>
<key>Language</key>
<string>en:0</string>

Windows / Mac OS installed same drive or separate drives? With that X58 hardware you have to have a Legacy BIOS, so double check BIOS settings - is the Mac OS drive first in the HDD boot order?
Also, is this volume name the actual name of your Mac OS drive?
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>OSX-SIERRA</string>

I apologize for ta king so long work for at&t and was sent out of town for ever. I contacted original owner and he said to hit (delete) until BIOS menu appeared and goto adv BIOS, then select harddrive that I wanted to boot first. Although when it boots on the 1st screen it "says" BIOS menu (delete) but it will NOT come up, idk or understand why (end) works to look at pic below and F12
upload_2017-7-5_23-43-33.png
upload_2017-7-5_23-49-36.png
View attachment 265133

Last edited:
Windows / Mac OS installed same drive or separate drives? With that X58 hardware you have to have a Legacy BIOS, so double check BIOS settings - is the Mac OS drive first in the HDD boot order?
Also, is this volume name the actual name of your Mac OS drive?
1. Separate Drives
2. No it is 2nd to boot if I hit F12
3. Yes I believe so I didnt build this machine so it is what it is i guess lol
upload_2017-7-5_23-59-9.png

Okay I am definitely a NOOB.....I did some poking around found out BIOS sometimes doesn't recognize USB Keyboards, I finally got into BIOS menu and got everything changed, sorry for the dumb questions. Set the boot priority to the 2nd boot drive. I did get a warning of overclocking though, GA-EX58-UD4P DRAM Voltage, DRAM Termination, Ch-A Data VRef, CH-B and C

Okay I am definitely a NOOB.....I did some poking around found out BIOS sometimes doesn't recognize USB Keyboards, I finally got into BIOS menu and got everything changed, sorry for the dumb questions. Set the boot priority to the 2nd boot drive. I did get a warning of overclocking though, GA-EX58-UD4P DRAM Voltage, DRAM Termination, Ch-A Data VRef, CH-B and C
To place a drive in first boot order if it is not the first in the list, use the down arrow key move the blue selector field to the drive you want to be first, then use page up key to move the drive to the top of the list. Then F10 to save & exit the BIOS setup.

To place a drive in first boot order if it is not the first in the list, use the down arrow key move the blue selector field to the drive you want to be first, then use page up key to move the drive to the top of the list. Then F10 to save & exit the BIOS setup.
Will BIOS go ahead and reset voltages? Warning said it could damage machine, although when i look at system information it shows all memory ok. Quick question I have 4 mem slots with 2gig per slot and one open slot should I think about upgrading DDR3 memory or filling that vacant slot?

Will BIOS go ahead and reset voltages? Warning said it could damage machine, although when i look at system information it shows all memory ok. Quick question I have 4 mem slots with 2gig per slot and one open slot should I think about upgrading DDR3 memory or filling that vacant slot?
You should have 6 slots - 2 open if 4 are used. If you can match the existing RAM model timing/latency with a pait of 2GB modules that would give you 12GB of triple channel rather than 8 of dual channel - much better processing power, especially with apps supporting hyper-threading.

For the voltage warning - try boot to BIOS and select Optimized Defaults, then make the settings for Mac OS (SATA = AHCI, enable HPET, 64-bit HPET, etc.)

Going Bald you have helped so much thank you I have recently ran into an issue that my DRAM Voltage keeps jumping up to 250 instead of staying at 150v and H/M is causing an issue. I have reset this multiple times and it stays good until computer is shut down for a day. IDK what H/M is and I think that is what is causing an alarm while starting up. I have been poking around again reading blogs although I believe I am becoming more confused than anything. Any suggestions would be helpful, I appreciate it.

Going Bald you have helped so much thank you I have recently ran into an issue that my DRAM Voltage keeps jumping up to 250 instead of staying at 150v and H/M is causing an issue. I have reset this multiple times and it stays good until computer is shut down for a day. IDK what H/M is and I think that is what is causing an alarm while starting up. I have been poking around again reading blogs although I believe I am becoming more confused than anything. Any suggestions would be helpful, I appreciate it.
Given the age of the board suggest you set Optimum defaults, make the minimum changes required to install Mac OS and do not OC the system. Best to never OC the system at all - it will last a lot longer. If you need higher speed, then get a higher clocked CPU to begin with.

For the problem with the DRAM see http://www.masterslair.com/vcore-vtt-dram-pll-pch-voltages-explained-core-i7-i5-i3#dram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back