CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Everyone. I’m trying to set up a dual boot on my machine and having difficulty.

I’m running Clover in legacy and have installed El Captain onto an SSD. Everything runs well.

Next I stalled Windows 10 on a separate drive from the OEM usb from Microsoft. It boots and runs fine if I select the drive in the bios boot menu (F12), but I can’t boot it from Clover. I’ve checked and the Windows installation is in Legacy. I’ve read I should change it over to UEFI and the Clover with recognize it. Supposedly this is somehow it's possible even though I have an old motherboard. I've attempted to reinstall Windows via my legacy clover install but clover never recognizes the installation USB. I’ve created one through Rufus and I have the original. Still no luck.

So then I attempted to create a new Clover bootloader with "install boot0af in MBR" and "Use alternative booting PBR." Unfortunately I get the boof0af error. This is why I needed to install Legacy boot mode to begin with.

Now I'm running in circles and my pets head are falling off!!

Is there a way to get Windows to boot via Clover on my legacy mobo? Or do I need to just stick with the F12 option instead.

Thanks.

i am dual booting off the same drive but should work for you config as well. I install Clover bootloader manually so when you go into customization you select boot0ss instead of boot0af.

Hi Everyone. I’m trying to set up a dual boot on my machine and having difficulty.

I’m running Clover in legacy and have installed El Captain onto an SSD. Everything runs well.

Next I stalled Windows 10 on a separate drive from the OEM usb from Microsoft. It boots and runs fine if I select the drive in the bios boot menu (F12), but I can’t boot it from Clover. I’ve checked and the Windows installation is in Legacy. I’ve read I should change it over to UEFI and the Clover with recognize it. Supposedly this is somehow it's possible even though I have an old motherboard. I've attempted to reinstall Windows via my legacy clover install but clover never recognizes the installation USB. I’ve created one through Rufus and I have the original. Still no luck.

So then I attempted to create a new Clover bootloader with "install boot0af in MBR" and "Use alternative booting PBR." Unfortunately I get the boof0af error. This is why I needed to install Legacy boot mode to begin with.

Now I'm running in circles and my pets head are falling off!!

Is there a way to get Windows to boot via Clover on my legacy mobo? Or do I need to just stick with the F12 option instead.

Thanks.

If you installed Windows Legacy mode on a second HDD chances are you have a System Reserved partition and a Windows NTFS partition. The System Reserved partition contains the boot files and this icon should be selected to boot Windows.

Hi. I tried the boot0ss option as well. I receive a boot0ss error. I'm slowly working through all the guides I can find, but still no luck.

What method did you use to install Windows 10? I think my issue may be with the RuFus usb. It shows up as two drives in the boot menu. Or maybe something is wrong with my Clover install. I used the unibeast/clover install for El Captain. For windows USB I'm using Clover v2.

Hi Goingbald,

Yes. I have a system reserved partition that shows up in Clover, but when I boot from it I get "A disk read error occurred" "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

dual boot install was done on my Sony laptop, one SSD. I first installed El Capitan, legacy. While creating HFS partition, i created one 120G for El Capitan and then another 120G NTFS. Once El Capitan was installed i would boot from Windows 10 USB, when i got to the screen when you create the partition i had to delete the 120G NTFS partition that was created earlier and let windows create it on its own. After Windows 10 was installed i could no longer boot into El Capitan so i can had to boot using Unibeast USB and install Clover manually and also selecting the option i told you previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back