Contribute
Register

Dual boot El Capitan and Windows 10 with UEFI on single SSD, problems with Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus Impact VIII
CPU
i7-6700K Skylake
Graphics
evga GeForce 970 GTX SC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello

I've been following this guide to install El Capitan and Windows 10 with UEFI on a single SSD drive.

After I installed OS X (using this guide), it would still only boot to Windows (of course, since no bootloader was installed).

I booted OS X from my USB, and ran MultiBeast (which seems to have been left out of the guide) to install Clover. Now nothing would boot.

Someone here mentioned that I needed to replace bootmgrfw.efi with the Clover file in the EFI partition. After that, Clover boots up, and I can boot OS X. However, the entries for Windows boot does not work. It doesn't even list the name of the partition as it usually does.

Does anybody know how I can make both work properly from the Clover menu?

I'm pretty sure the renaming of bootmgrfw.efi is not right. Since then Windows has not been able to boot at all, not even from my USB.

The UUID for the EFI partition is what you need to use for the Volume btw. If that doesn't work then maybe you haven't installed windows in UEFI.

Attachments

• Bph86kZ.png
    Bph86kZ.png
    287.3 KB · Views: 638
The UUID for the EFI partition is what you need to use for the Volume btw. If that doesn't work then maybe you haven't installed windows in UEFI.

Windows boots from EFI when I'm using clover from my USB. That means it's UEFI installed, right?

Where do I edit those options? There are several config.plist files on the EFI partition - And seemingly also some on my OS X drive. I can't see the boot items in any config.plist. Do I need to add them manually?

When I mount my EFI partition I get an error "Unexpected disk identifier: disk0s2" and "AppleEvent handler failed". However it seems to mount properly. Somebody have mentioned with with Windows installs before - Something with MBR I believe, but I don't entirely understand the problem. All this UEFI stuff is confusing me.

How can I make sure that Windows is in fact installed with UEFI?

I have selected "UEFI only" in BIOS, and "UEFI driver first". When I installed Windows, I removed the existing partition (made with gpart) and selected the unused space for installation, so Windows could create the partitions it needed.

Would it make sense to copy the EFI contents from the UniBeast created USB onto the EFI partition on my SSD?

How can I make sure that Windows is in fact installed with UEFI?
Click Start->Run, type msinfo32 and hit enter. Resulting screen will show BIOS Mode Legacy or BIOS Mode UEFI
I have selected "UEFI only" in BIOS, and "UEFI driver first". When I installed Windows, I removed the existing partition (made with gpart) and selected the unused space for installation, so Windows could create the partitions it needed.
This is on a GPT+ formatted drive with OS X already installed? If yes, then is correct procedure.
Would it make sense to copy the EFI contents from the UniBeast created USB onto the EFI partition on my SSD?
Yes. This gets you a minimal config.plist that you can refine and tweak to suit your hardware. However, you do this after you have installed Clover to the drive with MultiBeast or the official CLover installer, or built Clover and created your own installer from scratch with Clover Grower.

I have made some progress.

First of all, the guide suggesting GPART and installing Windows first seemed to cause more trouble than good.

I reinstalled everything with OS X first, installed Clover and nVidia driver, and then installed Windows.
As expected, Windows took precedence on the EFI partition, so I renamed bootmgfw.efi (not sure if this is right or what).
The EFI partition now behaves properly, with no errors when I mount it.

One of my mistakes was that I did not copy the kexts that I use on the USB (did UniBeast add these? I'm pretty sure I made a clean USB this last time).
When kexts and plist were copied to my hard drive EFI partition, I was able to boot OS X directly with no issues. The Windows entry shows up in Clover boot menu, but won't boot (because I renamed its efi). It works when I boot from the USB, and the efi-file has the correct filename.

I tried adding them as custom entries as jbamford suggested with UUIDs and paths to efi, but they don't show up.

I feel I'm pretty close now. I really just need to make it possible to boot Windows from Clover. I read that I could generate a "boot.log" but I can't figure out how. There is an option to save all boot options from the Clover menu, but I don't think that's it.

I have made some progress.

First of all, the guide suggesting GPART and installing Windows first seemed to cause more trouble than good.

I reinstalled everything with OS X first, installed Clover and nVidia driver, and then installed Windows.
As expected, Windows took precedence on the EFI partition, so I renamed bootmgfw.efi (not sure if this is right or what).
The EFI partition now behaves properly, with no errors when I mount it.

One of my mistakes was that I did not copy the kexts that I use on the USB (did UniBeast add these? I'm pretty sure I made a clean USB this last time).
When kexts and plist were copied to my hard drive EFI partition, I was able to boot OS X directly with no issues. The Windows entry shows up in Clover boot menu, but won't boot (because I renamed its efi). It works when I boot from the USB, and the efi-file has the correct filename.

I tried adding them as custom entries as jbamford suggested with UUIDs and paths to efi, but they don't show up.

I feel I'm pretty close now. I really just need to make it possible to boot Windows from Clover. I read that I could generate a "boot.log" but I can't figure out how. There is an option to save all boot options from the Clover menu, but I don't think that's it.
UniBeast adds basic kexts for networking and FakeSMC to EFI/Clover/Kexts/"OS X Version you are making the USB for" - i.e. Yosemite will have them in the 10.10 folder and El Capitan will have them in the 10.11 folder. Once you have run MultiBeast to install them properly, you should delete them from the folder after you copy the UniBeast USB EFI to your SSD/HDD.

In config.plist there is an option for enabling boot logging. The boot log is saved in EFI/Clover. You can also look in OS X Apps/Utililities/Console for the OS X boot logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back