Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have searched for hours, how do I dual boot SL and W7 on 2 different SSD's?
What options do I have to select in MB for both OS's to appear upon boot up?
I have my OS X drive set as boot drive, but W7 does not appear as an option on tonymac boot screen, it boots to SL. I can currently boot W7 if I hit F12, so I know that it is recognized in BIOS.

I have a two SSD setup. one for win 7 one for mac. make sure you have chameleon or chimera installed on the mac one, and set uefi to boot from the mac drive and it'll use its boot loader, the boot loader will automatically detect the other operating systems. note that it won't say 'windows 7', instead it'll say like 'system reserved' or something.

blaenk said:
I have a two SSD setup. one for win 7 one for mac. make sure you have chameleon or chimera installed on the mac one, and set uefi to boot from the mac drive and it'll use its boot loader, the boot loader will automatically detect the other operating systems. note that it won't say 'windows 7', instead it'll say like 'system reserved' or something.
I loaded Chimera v1.4.1 r877 from MB.
What is uefi and how do I set it?

Its easier to dual boot from same hdd/ssd (using Chimera) and I'm not sure you can dual boot from two different drives using chimera without some file editing.

If you want to boot from a different drive then just press F8 after rebooting to choose your drive. Thats one method that I used to use but I now boot off same disk (win7+osx), it was definitely easier to setup for me.

SoundFu said:
Its easier to dual boot from same hdd/ssd (using Chimera) and I'm not sure you can dual boot from two different drives using chimera without some file editing.

If you want to boot from a different drive then just press F8 after rebooting to choose your drive. Thats one method that I used to use but I now boot off same disk (win7+osx), it was definitely easier to setup for me.

I disagree. It is easier to boot from two separate drives.

The only way I was able to make it work is:

1) Connect the DVD-Drive to the last SATA port (SATA-Port-6?) on the Motherboard
2) Connect the drive for OS X to SATA-Port-1 (First port)
3) Leave drive for Windows disconnected.
4) Install OS X on the OS X drive as you normally would (use guides on this forum)
5) Disconnect OS X drive and connect Windows drive to the same port (SATA-Port-1)
6) Leave OS X drive disconnected.
7) Install Windows 7 (or Vista.. *shudder*), at the partition stage don't just select Drive0. Ensure you make a partition even if it fills the whole drive. Windows will say it will create drives as necessary. *Ensure you see 'System Reserved' partition in the list*, select the other bigger partition, click next, install as usual.
8) Shutdown and connect your pre-installed OS X drive to SATA-Port-2. Leave the Windows drive as-it-is on SATA-Port-1
9) Turn the system on, click Del to go into the BIOS (not F-12) and change the Boot Priority of the drives. Promote the second drive (OS X) to boot first.
10) You should now be able to boot to Chimera/Chameleon. Press any key to interrupt.
11) You should see OS X Drive, 'System Reserved' partition and Windows partition. Select 'System Reserved', off you go into Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back