Contribute
Register

Dual 5k displays using two Vega 64 graphics cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Planning an X299 build based on @kgp Mojave build guide. I have an existing LG Ultrafine 5k Thunderbolt Display that I plan to use by routing the DP output of a Sapphire Vega 64 card INTO a ASrock TB3 card with the final output TB3 cable connecting to the LG Ultrafine. However, I plan to buy the new LG 34 inch 5k widescreen when that ships in September and want to run a dual display setup. The new LG widescreen has a single DP 1.4 input. So if I use TB3 for the Ultrafine can I just add a 2nd Vega 64 card with DP 1.4 output and just plug it into the new LG widescreen using DP 1.4? I haven’t built a Hackintosh prior so am unclear on whether dual displays are possible using two AMD graphics cards like I am proposing. Any help here would be appreciated. A guy was kind enough to guide me on the TB3 part of this but I still need help on driving the 5k widescreen in addition to the Ultrafine. Thanks!

Planning an X299 build based on @kgp Mojave build guide. I have an existing LG Ultrafine 5k Thunderbolt Display that I plan to use by routing the DP output of a Sapphire Vega 64 card INTO a ASrock TB3 card with the final output TB3 cable connecting to the LG Ultrafine. However, I plan to buy the new LG 34 inch 5k widescreen when that ships in September and want to run a dual display setup. The new LG widescreen has a single DP 1.4 input. So if I use TB3 for the Ultrafine can I just add a 2nd Vega 64 card with DP 1.4 output and just plug it into the new LG widescreen using DP 1.4? I haven’t built a Hackintosh prior so am unclear on whether dual displays are possible using two AMD graphics cards like I am proposing. Any help here would be appreciated. @jyavenard was kind enough to guide me on the TB3 part of this but I still need help on driving the 5k widescreen in addition to the Ultrafine. Thanks!
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/

The Vega has DP 1.4 ports.

So to drive one 5k LG ultra fine and one 5k LG widescreen you need a single Vega with 3 DP ports. Any Vega will do, just not the Saphire one as it only has 2 DP ports.
2xDP 1.2 output are connected to the TB3 card, which then is connected via TB3 to the LG screen.

Thank you. Even easier and less expensive than I thought. I’ll start looking at Vega cards with 3 DP config.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back