Contribute
Register

Dual 2GB EVGA GTX760 SC or Single 4G GTX980 SC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Aorus z390 Ultra
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
1080ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hey guys!I primarily use my machine for video editing (4k workflow) and am looking to update my GPU situation. I currently have a single 2GB EVGA GTX760 card.Current System:
  • Mavericks 10.9.5
  • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
  • i7-4770K
  • EVGA GTX 760
  • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
What would be best?
  • Dual 2GB - GTX760 SC while running Mavericks (finally stable and running well)
  • Single 4GB - GTX980 CS with a Yosemite update (not sure I want to test this out after just getting stable)
Also, If I were to pick up a 4GB GTX760 SC card, would it be more beneficial than another 2GB card? I've read that SLI NVIDIA cards don't stack the RAM so I'd still just be at 2GB.I've been looking for benchmarks for dual 760 vs single 980 without any luck.Your help is greatly appreciated.Thanks!

• Mavericks 10.9.5
What would be best?
  • Dual 2GB - GTX760 SC while running Mavericks (finally stable and running well)
  • Single 4GB - GTX980 CS with a Yosemite update (not sure I want to test this out after just getting stable)
Also, If I were to pick up a 4GB GTX760 SC card, would it be more beneficial than another 2GB card? I've read that SLI NVIDIA cards don't stack the RAM so I'd still just be at 2GB.I've been looking for benchmarks for dual 760 vs single 980 without any luck.Your help is greatly appreciated.Thanks!
For Mavericks, I think the dual GTX760 will be a much better, more stable way to go, given that the GTX980 barely works in Yosemite with the nVidia Web drivers. I would stick with a pair of fully supported cards over a single, possibly more powerful, card with no support in OS X at all. Whether you go with a matching 2GB card or the 4GB card is a matter of some research, but seems to me I remember reading the GTX760 4GB card was recognized as such and all RAM usable.

For Mavericks, I think the dual GTX760 will be a much better, more stable way to go, given that the GTX980 barely works in Yosemite with the nVidia Web drivers. I would stick with a pair of fully supported cards over a single, possibly more powerful, card with no support in OS X at all. Whether you go with a matching 2GB card or the 4GB card is a matter of some research, but seems to me I remember reading the GTX760 4GB card was recognized as such and all RAM usable.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you. I've been scouring the web for SLI 760 vs a single 980 and finally found one that benchmarked between the two configurations. The two 760 cars via SLI came out on top for the most part. Very impressed by how well they have held up. Correct as well with the 4GB only being seen as 2GB. I was able to fund a previously opened mint GTX760 ACX Superclocked card for $170. By far the most cost effective upgrade when coupled with my existing 760 card.

Looking forward to benchmarking and comparing real world before and after. render/export times in premiere pro cc.

Well the 760 arrived and was installed. I'm receiving no performance increase over a single 760 GPU rending/exporting in Premiere Pro CC.

Have a look at my recent post about this in post-install graphic cards. your help is very much appreciated!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/158552-no-performance-gain-premiere-pro-cc-dual-gtx760.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back