Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all

I have been playing around with the install of the Hackintosh with my system for some time now and i have gotten it to work fine and i of course have broken it several times.

The tonymac install method has made the setup of lion so straight forward that it leaves little room to complain. I dont mean to be a sour wookie in these forums but I just cant seem to fathom a few minor things

No matter what i try i just can seem to get all my G-SATA ports to work on my GIGABYTE EX58-EXTREME MB... out of the 4 ports only 2 pick up. this is similar to what happens when i first install windows however once i install the driver provided for windows it works fine.

now i know that obviously there is no supplied driver to make the G-SATA work but i would like to know if it is my DSDT file or if it is the drivers needed. I use and have been using the DSDT provided by tonymacx86 site since 10.6.x and even in the days of the snow leopard installs i have always had this issue.

secondly for some reason not all the Multibeasts work with my setup... I mean one day i use a multibeast and it works and the next i use an updated version and my system wont boot. I tried several things too like changing what drivers i install but it seems that if i use the newer bootloaders it fails to boot. not even the commands like -x -i -f etc help. only a re-install works and getting my old bootloader back through the process. And also even when running the multibeast update i find that everything works fine except my sound and the G-SATA which never worked fully. I tried all those drivers offered in multibeast and even thought the new drivers with the new one would help but no luck.

Sound is not that major of an issue as i install the kext manually and its fine but i would really like to get all the G-SATA ports working and also to ensure the when i update the bootloader that it will work.

I am not knowledgeable yet on how to compile my own DSDT's and have been using the drivers picked up here and there to get things going... also i read the the new Multibeast implements the new kernel cache or something that boots faster but i can't have that as trying any of the new multibeasts makes my system fail to boot. I still use some 3.x.x version as its the only one that seems to boot my system which i am happy with for now as i can work on my hackintosh which is my main OS as i only boot into windows which is on a separate HDD from time to time so that i can play online. thats about it.

My system details are:

OSX LION:
i7 920 2.67
GIGABYTE EXTREME X58 MB (G-SATA issue)
6 Gig OCZ 1600mhz RAM (All picking up Fine)
ASUS nVidia GTX 285 Top edition (Working No Issues)
2 x 500 gb HDD (1x OSX, 1x Win7)
3 x 1TB
1 x 1.5TB
4 x 2TB
1500watt PSU
COSMOS RC-1000 Case
ACER P243W 24" Monitor

(unfortunately i cannot pickup 2 drives due to G-SATA issues)

Anyone who is willing to take the time to assist me I thank you in advance and cannot express my gratitude enough in this regard.

Xenit said:
My system details are:

OSX LION:
i7 920 2.67
GIGABYTE EXTREME X58 MB (G-SATA issue)
6 Gig OCZ 1600mhz RAM (All picking up Fine)
ASUS nVidia GTX 285 Top edition (Working No Issues)
2 x 500 gb HDD (1x OSX, 1x Win7)
3 x 1TB
1 x 1.5TB
4 x 2TB
1500watt PSU
COSMOS RC-1000 Case
ACER P243W 24" Monitor

(unfortunately i cannot pickup 2 drives due to G-SATA issues)

I looked at this board when i was researching for my build and decided against it because of the way the gSATA ports are controlled. IIRC, there is the Gigabyte SATA II controller controlls 2 jMicron JMB322 chips. One chip controls 2_0 and 2_1 and the other controls 2_2 and 2_3. You have to use the so-called Smart Backup utility in the BIOS and set up a RAID array to have the second 2 ports usable and all they are good for is using the Windows software provided with the mobo to set up the "Smart Backup" to the (unusable for you) last 2 ports. It is a little vague in my memory, but I think the second 2 ports only back up the first 2 ports. In any case, I did not like it so went with the X58A-UD7 instead of the extreme.

BTW, if you have a perfectly fine working system there is no reason to "update MultiBeast" or change your bootloader. You would only need to do this if you changed some hardware (gfx card for example) and the old bootloader no longer worked due to lack of support for the new hardware.

Thanks for pointing that out... i was testing a multibeast update and found that installing the multibeast when i attempted the UniBeast method which worked beautifully and booted fine using the flash as a boot source then i ran multibeast just to see how it would respond and mind me without even selecting the Bootloader option it installed the bootloader and wouldnt boot... so that means i would have to install the specific version manually from one of the old multibeasts.

do Note that i test this using a spare HDD and not a current one so i still have a working lion installation. also unibeast works like a charm only thing i am testing is the multibeast as i still need to confirm which one i used previously to install the bootloader so that i can ensure that it will always be available to install.

But i will admit that i have come to terms with the lack of two GSATA ports not working but i did post this topic in hopes that someone might know a solution.

thanks again anyways

I have EX58-UD5 Rev 1.0 and I have the same problem and have learnt to live without one HD on JMB322 ports. If there is a smart dev out there who can fix it to detect all four hd rather than just two, I would be eternally grateful to him/her :)

Thanx for creating this thread and keeping the hopes alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back