CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I currently have an SSD that I boot from (connected to one of two SATA III ports on my mobo) and two 1TB drives — one for my home folder/files and another for my iTunes library. I'm thinking of getting a hybrid drive to hook up to the other SATA III port, and I'm wondering which type setup would give me the best performance:

1. Partition a 2TB hybrid drive with equal partitions for files and iTunes (having just two drives hooked up to the mobo), or
2. Putting my Home folder/files on the hybrid and keeping the second 1TB drive for iTunes on a SATA II port.

Really what I'm wondering is, if I'm working on on files (mostly design and photo editing) on one partition while listening to music on the second partition, am I going to see a performance decrease since the needle will be bouncing back and forth between them, or is the greater performance hit coming from having two drives hooked up to two different ports?

My setup:

GA-Z77-DS3H with i7 3770
16GB RAM @1600MHz
GTX 760

Thanks!

Assuming that you generally listen to music at the same time as working on images, I would suggest keeping your iTunes files on a separate drive connected to a SATA2 port; this will be a simpler drive configuration, and playing music does not require a very fast drive or SATA connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back