Contribute
Register

Dream Hackintosh Build !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm really excited to build my first ever computer and after some researching I'm pretty confused and I'd appreciate part recommendations !

I really like this build here: http://snazzylabs.com/article/skylake-mac-mini-hackintosh/
but ideally I'd want it to meet all my requirements.

My requirements are as follows:
  • Compact size(if possible, the Streacom F1C case in the link above)
  • VR Compatible
  • 4K Compatible
  • Skylake processor(preferably quad core)
  • Thunderbolt port
  • Usb 3.0 ports
  • Ability to dualboot Windows 10
I'm not sure but I take it that wifi and Bluetooth are considered a given?

It'd also be great if the system could run nearly silent and cost under 900 dollars.

Is this build I'm dreaming of even possible?

My apologies if my requirements are unreasonable and please do correct any false preconceived notions I might have had.

Thank you !

Last edited:
You can't have a 4K and VR compatible computer in such a small factor, especially running near silent and costing under 900 dollars. You need to lower your expectations or spend more money for your build.You should also consider a larger case.

You can't have a 4K and VR compatible computer in such a small factor, especially running near silent and costing under 900 dollars. You need to lower your expectations or spend more money for your build.You should also consider a larger case.
Hmm I see, what would you recommend instead and what sort of cost should I be looking at?

Hmm I see, what would you recommend instead and what sort of cost should I be looking at?
You could still use that iTX motherboard, just put it in a larger case like the CM Elite ITX case that is in the Buyer's Guide. Then you can install a GTX 960 to be able to get 4K. Using the DP output would be your best bet. You'd need a 4K monitor with DP input of course.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/april/2016#Cases
The Elite 130 is the better of the 3 versions. The GTX 960 will cost you about
$190 USD. The case is less than the Streacom model you were considering.

Last edited:
If you want your build to be VR and 4K compatible you should go at least with a Nvidia GTX 970. That said, I think you should wait for the 1070 to be released,as it will be much more powerful at the same price. The gpu (970) price is around 350$.
For CPU I would go with an i5 6600k (244$).
For a case I would pick the Fractal Design core 500, which costs 50$.
Also 16GB of Crucial RAM 70$.
The PSU is up to you, 600W should be plenty.
You also mentioned that you wanted your build to be silent so I would suggest Noctua fans and CPU cooler.
All that costs around 900$ but peripherals (keyboard,mouse,monitor,speakers) are not included.
Hope this helps :)

Thank you everyone for your help!

I've decided to go with this:

Case: CM Elite130
Motherboard: GA h170n-wifi
CPU: Core i5 6600k
GPU: GTX 1070
RAM: Crucial 16GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
FAN: Noctua NH D-15

Chuffed :)

Thank you everyone for your help!

I've decided to go with this:

Case: CM Elite130
Motherboard: GA h170n-wifi
CPU: Core i5 6600k
GPU: GTX 1070
RAM: Crucial 16GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
FAN: Noctua NH D-15

Chuffed :)
I would check the available space for that CPU cooler and graphics card. Don't think that you can
put the NH-D15 cooler on an ITX motherboard anyway. How big is the 1070 going to be ? May be
too long for that case.

I would check the available space for that CPU cooler and graphics card. Don't think that you can
put the NH-D15 cooler on an ITX motherboard anyway. How big is the 1070 going to be ? May be
too long for that case.
Oh wait meant the NH-L9i. Don't think there's size details for 1070 yet but the 970 would fit with room to spare so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back