Contribute
Register

Don't want to use a gigabyte MOBO... Best Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z77-ud5h
CPU
I5-2500K
Graphics
nvidia 650 boost
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have been planning to upgrade my sandybridge system for a while now. I love my 2500k (the thing is a champ) but I've had so many motherboard problems, and decided to upgrade.

Long story short, I've had four gigabyte MOBOs in six months, after jumping from an asus p8p67 that was hard to OC on (that board still works, in my media server). All my gigabyte boards were LGA 1155 z77 boards from gigabyte, two itx boards and two atx z77 ud5h MOBOs. First I had the itx boards. First was DOA. Second ones north bridge quit and left me in a a boot cycle while flashing error codes, within three days. Gigabyte support was awful. They didn't even look at my first board when I RMA'd it, because of a small, less than 1/4 inch surface scratch to the metal around the IO ports (not the IO shield) that they claimed was from being improperly installed in the case.

Impossible, because I never even got as far as installing the board in the case. It wouldn't boot on the box with the essentials hooked up.

So foolishly I actually bought a second gigabyte ITX 1155 board. That one died in three days, boot cycled. Error code said it was a north bridge error.

I was pissed, and when the RMA was again denied I got even more frustrated.

So I bought a full ATX z77 ud5h. It was DOA. Gigabyte did actually agree to replace that board, but getting a replacement actually sent out took two months. When I got that one, one of the ram channels was bad, so I could only use 16 out of 32 gb. I didn't even bother trying to RMA the board again. I've been using that board for a while, but I've got the itch to upgrade from that system.

So, I don't want to buy another gigabyte board. I know people like them here because of their compatibility, but their "ultra durable" slogan is BS and I will never buy another one of their products. I'd like to do an ITX build, but I need wifi and IIRC intel on board wifi isn't comparable. I need a discrete GPU (probably a 770) so I don't have a PCI slot for a wifi card. If I have to do an ATX build I will, but I need a MOBO recommendation. Any company with good reliability, that works well with OSX. I don't mind using a DSDT, but I'd prefer not to do a whole bunch of messing with boot flags. Thanks.

For an ITX build - http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87IDELUXE/#specifications

The only thing you have to emember about the Asus BIOS is that it is UEFI only and to boot from HDD you need to install Chimera to the EFI partition on your OS X HDD/SSD - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

If it comes with the same AzureWave AW-CE123H mPCIe WiFI/BT as the Asus Z87 Pro and Deluxe boards it is OOB for 802.11 AC. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

I have great Hackintosh using the ASUS Maximum VI Hero motherboard:
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/

Pros:
UEFI bios allows for DSDT-free operation.
The Audio ALC1150 (SupremeFX) is the best on-board sound I've ever heard and is supported by MultiBeast.
ASMedia® ASM1061 controller provides two additional SATA III ports and is supported by MultiBeast.
Great over-clocking support to extract maximum performance.
No legacy PCI slots for a completely modern looking motherboard.
The Red and Black color scheme of the motherboard looks awesome.

Cons:
Like all ASUS motherboards I had to install Chimera to the EFI partition on my OS X disk.
ASMedia® ASM1061 controller can't be used with optical drives.
The price is about $200 at retail, which is a little higher than comparable Gigabyte motherboards.
No legacy PCI slots for people with older hardware.
The Red and Black colors of the motherboard looks gaudy (It's a matter of taste).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back