Contribute
Register

Doing RX 580 to RX 6600 XT swap today on Monterey

@Edhawk

I'm now on Sonoma 14.4.1 and all is working beautifully

I figured out my booting weirdness -- When installer progress would hang, I had to pull the USB stick out and put it into a different USB port and all continued as normal. Very odd. Maybe something in BIOS settings doing that? (XHCI handoff? Some legacy USB setting? other?)

In any case, I'm on latest Sonoma and the only thing that doesn't work (as expected) is WiFi. Bluetooth works with my Broadcom BCM94360CS2 and all of iCloud and iMessage works (which is what matters to me).

I may go down the path of trying the fixes for the WiFi, but I might just leave it as is and use a TP Link TL-WR902AC I bought for when I occasionally need WiFi and can't access an Ethernet connection directly (rare on this machine).

Overall I'm thrilled to be enjoying 4k/120hz on my OLED - It's so gorgeous!!!
4k/60hz HDR works also, but I prefer 120hz over HDR

I'm so happy I didn't give up on my Hack yet.

I know everyone raves about ASi machines, and I've used several, but this 'ol 8700 + 6600 XT + 2TB SN770 NVMe is absolutely as snappy and fast as can be. It feels 100% top end, especially at 120hz.

I have a 6750XT coming next week at which point I'll give NootRX a try.
If that works out, that will be my endgame for a good long while.

Only reason for trying it is I got it for a screaming $230 and I wouldn't mind a touch more performance on the Windows side for gaming.

I nearly jumped on a 6800 XT locally today, but its history seemed not quite right and it just didn't sound quite right. I'd love that performance, but not if it's some 4 owner, probably mined on for a while, etc, etc, card.

The USB issue during the boot phase is not uncommon. I have faced the same issue with a couple of hacks where the USB port works while the BIOS controls the system, but it stops working as soon as OpenCore or Clover are handed control. Simply put the Bootloader drops the USB from its configuration and you need to plug the USB in to a different working port.

Probably means you need to look at your USBPorts.kext configuration, as at least one USB port you would normally use isn't working/active in macOS.

Back