Contribute
Register

Does the GT 710 work with Sierra out of the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5 4590
Graphics
HD4600 (iGPU)
So I'm running a virtual macOS installation with Sierra on my ESXi host with GPU passthrough.
The thing is, my current AMD Radeon HD5450 doesn't work with Sierra anymore so I have to look for a new graphics card. It worked fine with El Captain btw so I know my setup works.

I've laid my eyes on an EVGA GeForce GT 710 since it has three digital ports so I can use my triple monitor setup with it.
But I'm a little bit scared that it won't work because I don't use Clover so it has to work out of the box.

I'm also hoping that the support for that card won't be dropped with the next release like my HD5450, but that shouldn't be the case with Nvidia cards, right?

Thanks for your answers.

The thing is, my current AMD Radeon HD5450 doesn't work with Sierra anymore so I have to look for a new graphics card. It worked fine with El Captain btw so I know my setup works.

Did you check this topic already?

According to this post it works fine in Sierra.

Yeah I checked this topic and at the bottom it says acceleration doesn't work and even though the guy in the other post got it to work, I don't know what he did to get it to work.
I also can't inject fake IDs or DSDTs since I don't use any custom bootloader like Clover, just the default VMware EFI.

I tried it with editing the kexts for the card and even though the card got recognized it didn't load the AMDFramebuffer kext and I couldn't use the display. Then I installed ElCaptain again, edited the kexts and it worked without any problems so in my case I don't think I will get it to work without Clover or Chameleon.

I'm also currently thinking about getting a GTX 1070 for my Windows VM and then just use my GTX 770 for Sierra which would work OOB, since I wanted to upgrade my Windows machine anyways it'd probably be the better decision since I could even play more demanding games on the virtual Mac, if there are any. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back