Contribute
Register

Does the Apple 27" LED Cinema Display Work????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm doing build three but with a HD6870 instead of 6850. If I buy the last generation (Pre-thunderbolt) 27" Apple LEd Cinema Display, will everything work on it?? (ie. camera, speakers, mic and hub ports on the back) Would like to know before I drop the cash on a refurb from Apple Store.

i have it and it works like a charm!!

Xelanaiznac, Are you using all the features on the display? (cam, mic, speakers and USB ports on back?)

The Apple 27" Cinema Display works perfectly on my Hackintosh. iSight cam, speakers, mic, USB hub, everything just works. I have the non-Thunderbolt version, hooked up to an MSI GTS250 1GB video card.

Had to buy an $85 Atlona AT-DP400 to make the display's MDP cable work with my video card's DVI output:

http://www.amazon.com/AT-DP400-Displayp ... B003CWEXWO

The 27" is by far the best monitor I've owned and works flawlessly with my i7-930 rig. Well worth the money.

It works as others have said, but unless you're well paid, and are some type of video editor/picture editor/graphic designer/whatever that thing is thing is a big waste of money.

Why dont you just buy some different brand 27" monitor and hackintosh it to work like a Apple LED monitor :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE278Q-27-In ... 154&sr=1-1

Yes.

The USB stuff-- iSight camera, extra ports, speaker-- is all really just a built in USB hub. The cable off the back of the 27 display splits into a minidisplay port connector, a usb plug, and a magsafe connector for a laptop. You plug the usb end into the computer and that's what drives everything on the display aside from the display itself. In other words: it's easier to get the USB functions of the display working, potentially, than the display itself.

I have full compatibility with mine and the XFX 5770 single slot (though I did have to make a single-word edit in the ATI controller kext). The 6870 is supposed to work even better!

As far as displays go, it's really wonderful. High resolution, high color accuracy. It's really designed for photo/video/graphics work. And in the price range, it's actually pretty cheap. Many of the higher end 27 inch displays, non-glossy, for graphics professionals are 30 to 50% more expensive. There is a company in the UK called Hazro that makes some very rock-bottom priced displays in the range-- but I've heard mixed things about their QA; worth looking into though.

The biggest weakness is that the display doesn't have the same color gamut as even the dell u2711-- not to mention the higher end displays in the category. But for almost everyone-- including video and photo professionals-- this doesn't make a real difference in use. Real video people do their grading on a studio monitor (or a few monitors for specific output), not a normal computer monitor. And I shoot professionally as a photographer-- there's a statistically good chance, if you read major U.S. publications, that you've seen my work. I've never had an editor complain about the color accuracy of my images (I keep my display hardware calibrated)-- the color gamut thing is a total non-issue.

The main thing is that some people find the glossy coating frustrating because of reflections. Good monitor positioning helps reduce reflections. Surely the screen is more reflective than some. The upside is that text is super clear and sharp. The very aggressive anti-glare coatings on screens like the dell knock those reflections out-- but can make text look sparkly and pixelated. It's a trade off, and it comes down to personal preference. I looked at both the ACD and the Dell 27, and decided I liked the ACD 27 much better. You'll hear the same thing in reverse. There's no right answer.

noespam said:
DeadlyDasher said:
It works as others have said, but unless you're well paid, and are some type of video editor/picture editor/graphic designer/whatever that thing is thing is a big waste of money.

Why dont you just buy some different brand 27" monitor and hackintosh it to work like a Apple LED monitor :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE278Q-27-In ... 154&sr=1-1

Not even close. That's 1920 x 1080.

Cinema display is 2560x1440 and IPS. The Cinema Display is worth the money IMHO if you're willing to spend in this range. Web cam, decent speakers and let's not forget aesthetics. It's a work of art. The closest you'll get to it is a Dell 30" and that costs a whole heck of a lot more. The glossy coating of the Cinema Display is also better for text (coding). Most IPS panels have an anti-glare which makes text blurry. Cinema can't be beat at its price point.

The disappointing thing about the Cinema Display is the single output, mini display port. (I have the pre-thunderbolt version). I had to buy a $180 HD6850 with mini display ports just to use it with a PC. The other option is to buy an accessory which are hit and miss.

You're correct the price of that monitor is no where close to the apple one, its $700 less.

But @OP get it if you want, but if you're gaming dont get it. It has a 12 response time with is pretty bad for gaming.

DeadlyDasher said:
But @OP get it if you want, but if you're gaming dont get it. It has a 12 response time with is pretty bad for gaming.

Eh, unless you're really, really competitive, than it really won't matter... even for FPS. I've played BFBC2 and Crysis on one quite a bit... and no problems. Plenty of people use them for gaming.

Those of you who have it, can you tell me if it works fine in Windows & BIOS as well? I dual boot on my hackintosh with a Sapphire HD 6870. I've read elsewhere that you can't get see the BIOS screens on a cinema display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back