Contribute
Register

Does the 6870 graphics card really work??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
h55n usb3, 8gb ram, 2tb hard drive - Mavericks 10.9
CPU
intel i5 - 750
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just went out and got a sapphire 6870 graphics card the other day because ive heard it worked with lion out of the box.

All I simply get after boot or when i try to install lion is a grey screen :(

I've tried everything that people said on here like, graphicabler=no -x -y and so on but nothing is working for me.

Then wen I put my old graphics card nvida GeForce gt240 it boots into lion fine but isint stable due to a problem with the card freezing (nvidas fault).

Can anyone please help me,thanks??

Your problem may not be caused by your graphics card
Have you configured your bios settings???

tayloraftemath said:
Just went out and got a sapphire 6870 graphics card the other day because ive heard it worked with lion out of the box.

I've tried everything that people said on here like, graphicabler=no -x -y and so on but nothing is working for me.

Then wen I put my old graphics card nvida GeForce gt240 it boots into lion fine but isint stable due to a problem with the card freezing (nvidas fault).

Instead of using the graphicsenabler=no and -x

use this at boot:

usekerenalcache=no

With the 6850/70's you can't use graphicsenabler=no and -x. All you'll get is a white background with the mouse pointer.

tayloraftemath said:

yes i have the same 6870 and it work with 'graphicsenabler=no' with a 's' and without -x
got it work this afternoon and iam reall happy :headbang:

thanks all

i decided to format another hard drive i had and start from stretch on it, got everything working 100% on 10.7.3 and is running solid.

used graphicsenabler=no (used boot string pcirootuid=0 to get me onto the lion install tho)

but i have a little problem, my sapphire 6870 is recognised as ATI Radeon HD 6xxx 1024 MB in system profiler and will crash on dvd player and geek bench the this.

does anyone know any ideas how to get my sapphire 6870 fully recognised in system profiler???

again my 6870 works great with hdmi ... no problems at all. Full 1080p

i use vlc instead of dvd player.

i think (havent test it) steam doesnt work for me either but for full graphic support i play steam on my windows partition

beside this little problem i am happy with the system and geekbench work for me i get the same resault as the biggest 27" imac :headbang:

:idea: and if you want to mess up your system you can try the (google) :arrow: ati6870 kext
if you install the kext pls report what happens

but i have a little problem, my sapphire 6870 is recognised as ATI Radeon HD 6xxx 1024 MB in system profiler and will crash on dvd player and geek bench the this.
Of course is recognized as ATI Radeon HD 6xxx,as long as you you boot without graphics enabler.ATI 6870 works OOB with GE=Yes,the only problem that i can think at is that the frame buffer that Chimera loads has incorrect info for the connector you use ( for example with a certain frame buffer you can have perfectly working a DVI display,but no signal on HDMI).It's just a matter of finding the frame buffer that better suits to ur needs.

alex_tzardea said:
Of course is recognized as ATI Radeon HD 6xxx,as long as you you boot without graphics enabler.ATI 6870 works OOB with GE=Yes,the only problem that i can think at is that the frame buffer that Chimera loads has incorrect info for the connector you use ( for example with a certain frame buffer you can have perfectly working a DVI display,but no signal on HDMI).It's just a matter of finding the frame buffer that better suits to ur needs.

and why did i get a grey screen with ge=yes ???

it ONLY works with ge=no

How do you connect your display?
and if you want to mess up your system you can try the (google) ati6870 kext
if you install the kext pls report what happens
---Useless,Lion supports 6870 already,no need for third party kexts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back