Contribute
Register

Does ProTools 10.3 actually REQUIRE Nehalem (4,1) definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi! Is anyone out there using their Hackintosh to run Pro Tools 10.3.x or later?

The Avid website is saying that a Nehalem (4,1) or later is required.

I am wondering --

1. Does the installer prohibit installation if a Hack has a 3,1 definition? I had read this definition was generally a "more stable" Mac Pro-like hack definition so that is what I have been using.

2. Or, does everything work fine as long as you have a "fast enough" CPU etc. and this is just a case where Avid wanted to CYA and state that they weren't going to be held responsible if problems happened on slower Apple Mac Pros that were released pre-Nehalem?

Looking for people with actual experience running ProTools 10.3.x please.

Avid statement:

*Mountain Lion support requires Nehalem (4,1) and later Mac Pro computers. Some device drivers are not officially supported with Mountain Lion.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Pro-Tools-10-3-Downloads
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/Pro-Tools-10-3-1-Downloads
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/Pro-Tools-10-3-2-Downloads

I can report that Pro Tools 10.3.3 is working very well on my HD3 Hackintosh with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Before PT10, I was running 9.0.6, and that was also working very well. It sucks that you have to surrender your version 9 iLok to upgrade to 10. What if you wanted to go back to 9? Luckily, version 10 seems to behave itself, even with original PCI HD3 Accel hardware! If you have any other questions, give me a shout.

yes, I read that in the release notes as well, and I have NOT been able to get it installed on my system reliably. My system is also setup as MacPro3.1 and when I install PT10.3.3 it causes a Kernel Panic when I reboot. I suspect it has to do with the envy24 drivers KEXT I have installed for my m-audio Delta 1010 sound card, although I haven't completely isolated the problem yet. However, the Delta sound card works up until I install Pro Tools. I'm actually thinking about trying out Logics to use instead of PT. Avid kind of P's me off a little because of their lack of support sometimes. I've also tried to use Multibeast to install the MacPro 4.1 definition on my system, but whenever I install anything from MB 5.2.1, it also causes a Kernel panic on the re-boot. So I'm kind of stuck without a DAW right now. Here's my component list:

Component List:
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H (rev 1.1)
CPU: Intel i7-3770
RAM: 16 GB Komputer Bay DDR3 1600 MHz non-ECC
Video: eVGA GTX 650Ti
Keyboards: Logitech K400 wireless KB with USB dongle, Apple USB std keyboard, Applet magic trackpad
Monitor: Polyview V293, Acer T230h
Thunbdrive: SanDisk Cruiser 16 GB
PowerSupply: Cool Power CP-G980
Install HDD: 3 TB Samsung ST3000DM001 [1 TB partition for install]
Other HDD: 250 GB Maxtor Diamond Max, 2 TB Hitachi HDS723020

Running PT10.3.2 with HD Native card on my music studio 2.0 build (see link in my sig).

if you dig a bit deeper into those KB articles and review the complete list of AVID-qualified machines certified to run PT10, you'll see plenty of machines with less powerful class of processors than Nehalem 4,1. So somewhat misleading.

There doesn't appear to be any sort of script that checks for that 4,1 definition, as I've had it running on my system at one point using the MultiBeast default MacPro 3,1 def. so your #2 statement is most probably true.

mike4tm86: Your issue sounds like a known problem with an older(?) kext being installed. Many other users report deleting the offending kext fixes the kp you are getting. Do a search of the music forum for your issue. I think the offending kext is "digidal.kext" (or something like that). I've never had any kp's after installing PT9 on my studio 1.0 build, nor with PT10 on my new build.

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.2, and Pro Tools 10.3.3 HD is running perfectly. My system definition is the MultiBeast default Mac Pro 3,1. I had a couple of issues going from Snow Leopard 10.6.8, mostly due to Migration Assistant pulling in some buggy preference files (NetworkInterfaces.plist). Any services that used the Apple ID (App Store, iTunes, iCloud) didn't work, because the Apple ID was not accepted. After deleting NetworkInterfaces.plist, I restarted. The network defaulted to Wi-Fi. When I turned Wi-Fi off, it switched to ethernet, but oddly enough, the names were swapped. Ethernet icon was named Wi-Fi, and vice versa. I renamed the Ethernet connection "Ethernet (en0) and wifi to Wi-Fi. Now, iCloud, App Store and iTunes are all able to access my Apple ID account.

So, it appears that at least in my case, the 4,1 definition is not necessary.

Bravo BoomR! yes indeed, I did what you recommended by taking out DigiDal.kext from the /S/L/E folder, and sure enough, my system boots ok after installing PT 10.3.3. I'll just have to be careful after installing any addition PT updates for that kext being added back in. If it does get put back in by accident and I miss it, I can always boot into my SuperDuper backup and delete it from my main MtnLion partition and then reboot, now that I know what to do to fix it. I also have the system specified as a MacPro3.1. Thanks much for the help.
:headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back